May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, R Reynolds, Karl Graebner, Jimmy W, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 1,061 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,671
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

WC, if it's a 1908 gun, why is there no proofmark with P + another letter under a star? Or does that simply indicate that the gun did not undergo smokeless powder proof?

BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi members. I did a number of Google searches for Gastinne-Renette boxlock shotguns and only found a few images of them. There was a 24GA that was auctioned in 2012 by Cowan's Auctions, which is similar in style to mine, although it is of higher quality with lots of engraving. The auction house describes it as a 24 gauge with the barrels marked 14.9 and 1901 on the water table. This puts it close to my recent acquisition with a mark of 1908. It has the same Scott forend latch type as you can see from the pic below. Checkering pattern and stock wrist shape are similar also. Sadly, there were no pics of the barrel flats and action. Below is the auction house description.

"24 gauge, 26" barrels, S/N 4075. 12.25" LOP, highly engraved frame in floral designs interwoven; banner on both sides of the frame with Gastinne-Renette in the banner. Deep relief engraved on the back of the lobes of frame. Safety inlaid in gold. Deep relief engraved triggerguard with gold crest inlaid. Blued barrels with engraving at the breech. Finely checkered highly figured walnut stock with checkered butt. Fully checkered forearm with engraved release. Marked on the frame French proofs and Gastinne-Renette, and the number 4075 and on the front 1901. Bottom of barrels are marked 14.9 on both barrels, and 65 on both barrels along with French barrel proofs and barrel maker Leopold Bernard."

Last edited by BillK; 02/02/16 12:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Black powder proof only...
However it was proved reinforced.
Unusual, but certainly not impossible.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

good catch, BillK...
it reinforces my feeling that your gun was a true GR shop made gun.
The numbers line up pretty well. and it is interesting to see that only 17 Serial numbers were taken in 7 years...
At that time, the very bulk of the GR sales were with Belgian and St Etienne made guns, so this kind of makes sense.
It is also possible that both guns were made at about the same time, but yours (and likely its #1 sister) stayed either in stock or unfinished for a long time.
I attribute the LB 'L' date code to 1902 or thereabout.
Note that the fore-end release is identical on both guns, except for the engraving.
I have read somewhere (I think in the Laurent Bedu book), that GR in a banner means shop made. This does not seem to be true, because the 24GA has the banner but the 20 does not, and they were most certainly made in the same place.
All the best,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW this style of forend release can be seen on the Ideal with ejectors. It's called in French "devant a pedale".
see here for a very similar and contemporary system.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Galloping Betail Sauvage:

What info have you on the transition from a numeric date-code to a letter system regarding L. Bernard tubesets? Any info where-upon the upper rung tube maker was basing his dating modell? Or was he blazin' his on trail?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nominal 24 gauge is .579" or 14.7mm. Obviously @ 14.9 this 24 gauge was slightly overbore (.587").
Still betting the seller looked at that 16.0 & called it the gauge without further checking, not realizing this was actually the size of the bores in mm.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BillK
Rocketman, yes, I would be interested in running it through your value system. Can you explain it and tell us how it works?
BillK

OK, here we go. We can make a pretty good estimate of value, not price, but value based on three factors. Value is an estimate of what price might be whereas price is an agreement between willing buyer and seller. This is based on considerable market research and models. The factors are Brand Value, Original Quality grade, and Current Condition.

BV is based solely on the name on the gun. Before anyone gets in a huff, remember that this is a reflection of the broad market. Ain't my fault, just how the market acts.

OQ is based on a best fit model that has nine pigeon holes ranging from best work SLE to colonial/farmer grade. Grades are far enough apart that they are relatively easy to assign. When there is doubt, it is acceptable to interpolated between two whole number grades.

CC is based on best estimate of which of nine levels fits the gun in hand. Levels range from pristine to wall hanger. As above, levels can be fractional as needed.

The BV of this gun is level three, "most Brit makers and Continental makers with high reputation." GR fits nicely to tis definition. BV3.

OQ looks to me like grade five and a half. That is, between a best work BLE and a second grade BLE. I expect this pair of guns was ordered sans extensive engraving as a style, rather than as a cost saving. OQ5.5.

CC fits nicely as, "heavy use, but no abuse, or remanufactured" which is CC4.

BV3-OQ5.5-CC4 = $2,075. The foregoing from the photographs. Gun in hand may this estimate a bit.

Questions or comments?

DDA

BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Rocketman. That is an interesting approach to valuation. Is that a proprietary model you have developed? Would you be willing to share each grade of each component in more detail? How do you derive at assigning the $2,075 value after the analysis of the factors?
I would like to use the valuation model for the rest of my guns.
BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr

What info have you on the transition from a numeric date-code to a letter system regarding L. Bernard tubesets? Any info where-upon the upper rung tube maker was basing his dating modell? Or was he blazin' his on trail?

Hi Raimey,
As we should know by now from previous posts, Bernard has always had a tubeset stamped with a sequential number followed by a '.' and a date.
The date was replaced by a letter datecode at the end of the 19th century. This was before the Belgians did it in 1922.
The only real data I have is that my 1898 dated Rieger has a date code of 'H' and a # 35321.
So at the very earliest, and assuming all letters were used, that would place 'L' at 1902.
By the way, just less than 1000 tubesets went through the Bernard shop in that time frame.
I'll remind people that the shop was held by Leopold's widow for a long time, because he passed on 7/11/1870, just days before the Franco-Prussian war.
Also Bernard seems to have only sold assembled tubesets, and not individual barrels.
Another interesting trivia is that the Paris proof house was actually hosted by the Bernard shop at least at the very beginning.

Best regards,
WC-

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.