Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

In regard to my post below, can anyone recomend a really good custom rifle stock maker, with as close to an impeccable reputation as possible?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could start here:

http://www.acgg.org/

Sidelock
Sidelock

DeWayne, you should start with our own Doug Mann (815-932-4190). He is an excelent stocker as many here can testify to. He is finishing one piece for me now and has another shotgun & a rifle there in his shop from me. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

The American Custom Gunmakers guild list is a good reference and Mr. Mann does great work.

Another member of the guild who specializes in custom hunting rifles is Nathan Heineke in Laramie Wy ( http://www.nlheineke.com ).

The full member list is at http://www.acgg.org/PDF%20files/ACGG%20Regular%20Members.pdf

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a number of top flight custom riflemakers working today.

First: I would suggest that you NOT buy any wood until you have selected a gunmaker and you and the maker select the wood.

Second: Get a copy of “Custom Rifles in Black and White” by Steven Dodd Hughes and you will get a good idea of the different styles and names of people who do this type of work.

Third: Try to look at and handle as many custom rifles as possible at dealers, tradeshows and gunshows.

One question might be how much do you plan to spend on this project?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are several people who are top drawer at building rifle stocks. The ACGG is a great place to start.

I have had several superb stocks built by Gary Goudy of Dayton, WA and he has a sterling reputation. His name on a stock sugnificantly increases the value of the rifle. His prices are very reasonable and his turn around time is short.

PM me for contact information.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cman your slide or picture is backwards. Makes the gun look like it was built backwards, you know for a left handed person. Or as we have to say now, a person who is challenged to use thier right hand properly.

I have to second your Gary Goudy recomendation as all of his work that I have seen is top rate. And while money does matter it is not the main event when you are looking to have a rilfe restocked. A carbon fiber extruded stock is certainly easier, cheaper and more functional but robs a rifle of all of its charm. Might as well tote a Bernella/Berretto auto in 12 gauge with no plug while shooting Quail.

I think one would benefit from determining project budget then asking the questions as stocking can be a semi from Boyd's in SD for little to a guild person using exhibition English at thousands. Best. Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

David Christman in Delhi, LA is super. I saw the two dinner guns he made for the custom gunmakers guild and they were as good as it gets. He also guarntee's his guns to shoot into a .5 inch group at 100 yards. He keeps very busy.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by KY Jon:
Cman your slide or picture is backwards. Makes the gun look like it was built backwards, you know for a left handed person. Or as we have to say now, a person who is challenged to use thier right hand properly.

I have to second your Gary Goudy recomendation as all of his work that I have seen is top rate. And while money does matter it is not the main event when you are looking to have a rilfe restocked. A carbon fiber extruded stock is certainly easier, cheaper and more functional but robs a rifle of all of its charm. Might as well tote a Bernella/Berretto auto in 12 gauge with no plug while shooting Quail.
Guilty as charged. Nothing wrong with my right hand, but I have a left master eye and changed over long ago.

Gary will charge Something like $3500 to $4000 (Last prices I had) exclusive of blank, depending on checkering pattern. He finishes all the work in his shop and delivers before huntinfg season starts, and he hunts a LOT. Timing os right for a gun to be done before next hunting season.

The gun pictured was done by Gary about ten years ago. He keeps getting better. The last three jobs he did for me were shotguns, but I thought a rifle would be more relevant to the discussion subject.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.