March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#436793 02/23/16 09:30 PM
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple of friends and myself have been talking. We are thinking of going to Manitoba this fall for snow geese.

So I am looking for advice. Any recommendations for outfitters / guides?

I have been to Manitoba to hunt bear and deer. I really enjoyed the experience.

Thanks,

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

No experience in Manitoba but have been to SK a few times and everyone I know goes there for snows. My friend had a big set up and we just got permission from the local ranchers/farmers. He passed from cancer last spring so I did not go in 2015.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Went about 6 years ago. Fabulous experience. 3 dozen decoys total and we slew the snows and Canadas. Those birds had never seen a human before. Went duck hunting in Netley Marshes for two days and that was great also. Did not use an outfitter.
Coming back, South of Winnipeg, I was glad I went. I did not know there were that many geese on God's green Earth. The ground was black with them and the sky was full for miles. Miles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No experience in Manitoba, but also hunted SK twice. Freelancing was pretty easy IF you could track down the landowner, got permission 100% of the time. We hunted Western SK, snows/ross' wear incredible but the white fronts were unbelievable. I do know a die hard snow goose hunter that moved his efforts from Manitoba to SK because of the hunting pressure in Manitoba. I've hunted spring snows in SD and NE for 20 years, no comparison to what Canada offers in late Sept and early October.

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to see you back Pete!!! Hope all is well. smile

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Good to see you back Pete!!! Hope all is well. smile

Day by day. After 1 full year of physical therapy, they are sending me out on my own. Still using a cane, expect to be off of it by late summer.

So, as a friend pointed out to me, 2 years to beat cancer and a year to recover after collapsing from pneumonia. I am cleaning up my 10ga guns for geese!

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. They all helped.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted SK twice and AB once. Awesome hunting for both white and dark geese in SK, great hunting for darks in AB.

Went up with a couple good friends who've hunted SK off and on for the past 15 years or so. They have some good connections in SK and have never had any problems getting permission to hunt, anywhere.

We were hunting south western SK and south eastern AB. At times I was so amazed at the numbers in the air, I'd lose focus on incoming birds!

Last edited by Cameron; 02/24/16 02:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, good to hear that you are feeling much better and up to hunting again.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Problem we had, we ended up with too many geese....What the hell do you do with em?...Locals didn't want them...Lotsa fun tho..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
Problem we had, we ended up with too many geese....What the hell do you do with em?...Locals didn't want them...Lotsa fun tho..

Find the local Hutterite colony. They will use the feathers and down for blankets and pillows they'll sell back to you next year, and the carcasses to eat or for animal feed...Geo

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.