May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Guy Ave, SKB), 729 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,478
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, the serial numbers in my records are from what I obtained from off the Internet gun sales and auctions. Sometimes it just listed the serial number and a description. The ones I was able to get pictures of I did and some show all and some do not. The ones that show the for-end without any type of latch should be considered post 1880 guns in my opinion.
It would be nice to know the time date of the serial numbers and the range. I got some of the information about the range of serial numbers from John Houchins' book "The Legend Lives". Listed under W.H. Baker & Co. It states the three barrel started at serial number 1 to 300 (I is on the 16 ga drilling). The two barrel starting at 5 to 1650. These are from Syracuse from 1877-1880.
For L.C. Smith the three barrel started at 300 to 1600 and the double barrel 1650-10,000. This is from 1880-1884.

The gentleman who owns the 3 barrel told me the barrels are cut to 22 inches but shooting a .38 he is able to get a decent group at 25 yards. I think he stated it is a 38-55 Ballard.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, I gave John Houchins a bunch of info on serial numbers as well as gun pictures of the Baker and Baker Smith era. Somehow, some did not translate correctly into his book. It was a massive project and I am amazed he could compile what he did. If you follow my guide above, you will have the "most" possibly correct information.

In the early Baker guns and Baker and Co. guns, there were several types of forend fasteners. Finally, the J spring won out and is found on guns by several other makers as well.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Daryl. I did see your name in the acknowledgements.
The book was a massive undertaking and it has it's mistakes but without it there would be many voids.

My main research was the Syracuse hammer guns and the Hunter Arms ones as there was really nothing written about them.
Along with those then came the Baker and then Smith Baker ones and these are the new ones to me.

Thanks again for your help.

David

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.