March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#437641 03/02/16 05:26 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know quite a few of us own and use these. They're no longer being made. The 20/28ga head on mine developed a problem. Contacted them and was told to send it in, that they had repair parts. I did, enclosing a check for $25 to cover repair and shipping, and a note to let me know if that covered everything. (When I asked how much it would be, he said just cover postage!)

Well, about a week after sending it, I got it back today. Cost about $7 to send it priority mail, and the package included a $10 bill as a refund! Don't know how long the parts inventory will last, but good to know we can still get them fixed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is good to know. What problem developed with yours? Perhaps it is something the rest of us can forestall somehow.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, I had a problem with one that I bought on eBay for $15.00 many years ago. I called and talked to a fellow named Dean. He told me to send it and to include $15.00 and that would include the return shipping.
In the meantime I saw that Brownells or Midway was offering one with a longer shaft and called again and talked to Dean asking if he could fit the longer shaft to mine. He said yes, no extra charge and when I received it a week later it had a note stating the dial was bad and he replaced that also. Asked for $10.00 more which I promptly send him.
Mine will now reach to 17".
A great fellow to deal with and was the only worker there. The gentleman that owned it passed on and I don't know what happened after, but great to hear that they still have parts.

The problem with mine was that someone took the head apart and didn't put it back the right way.

David

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Must be the same fellow that worked on mine. It somehow got caught in the garage door and the outcome was ugly. I called and spoke with Dean (I think) and he said to send it in along with I think $25 (which included shipping) and he would repair it. Repair it he did and it works fine now. I have the model with two different heads so it will do both 12/16 and 20/28 gauge. Its saved me a crap load of money through the years. I was ready to plunk money on a Fox 20 gauge not long ago and the Skeets revealed the right barrel had been honed extensively. That would have been an expensive mistake.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dean Harris is the sole owner and workman at Skeet's. He is a great guy and does the best barrel work of anyone I am aware of--chokes, chambers, bores, etc. and he has a quick turnaround. My experience is when he has opened chokes they come back exactly what was asked for and perfectly polished--no tool marks, etc. prices are only a fraction of what many others ask. He is set up for it and I think barrels are his sole work.

I think it was Skeet's wife who made the bore gauges and she is no longer doing it.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fellow on trapshooters.com is making a similar gauge for a very low price. Tony may still be selling them too. Both of mine came from Tony as well as my $450 gauge, which is an even better choice. I have all three.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dean is as a fine fellow to deal with. His work is second to none.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe has it right about the widow. She's the one who decided to discontinue making the gauges. Brownell's no longer has any.

I was measuring a 20ga bore at a Cabela's Gun Library. The head got stuck. When I pulled the gauge out, I had a shaft and no head. When I pushed out the lodged head, it fell to pieces (spring, little ball bearings, etc). My local gunsmith looked at it and determined that was a ship he couldn't put back in the bottle. But very good service from Skeet's!

Boxlock
Boxlock

As an alternative I just received the bore gauge from 100 straight products yesterday. Used it this morning. Very satisfied.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, when I talked to Dean I had asked him if he could make me a head for a 10 gauge and an 8 gauge. At that time he told me work was crazy on other gun related thing he was doing.

I tried to make one, the hardest part is putting the ball bearings in the holes and they are put in from the outside not the inside. There is a tapered rod that holds the balls in along with a spring at the bottom. There is an inner rod inside the tube that when pushed on expands or contracts the tapered rod to the size opening and reads on he dial indicator.
I could not get the right size balls to match up to a drill bit. It has to be exact.
This is to the best of my memory from back then.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.