May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (eeb, Hammergun, Tim Wolf, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb, Jimmy W), 573 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,488
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunflint Charlie, yes, Schwing was definitely confused in his terminology on page 108. On page 109, Winchester catalog pictures and captions clearly call the guns, "Standard Grade Skeet Guns", which is what they were then and are now. On the following pages, he continues to incorrectly describe the Magnum and the Duck Guns as Magnum and Duck Grades, which they were not then and are not now. By the way, Reseacher, thanks for sticking to your guns on this subject. You are right and the rest of the posters are mistaken, taken in by Schwing's misinterpreting of the factory literature, which has been continually right in their description of the Model 21 Skeet Gun as the "Model 21 Skeet Gun". I am waiting for the Cody letters and catalog entries that describe this gun otherwise. Mr. Cash, yes I do have the 1936 catalog, as I said earlier, and I also have all the rest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
...Maybe it's your turn to produce some Winchester catalog that refers to a Skeet Grade.

If you'll re-read my first post, I only referred to the Schwing book as the source of my information. Very sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My feathers only got ruffled when I told you that I had the catalogs including 1936, that specified that skeet was a style, not a grade and you still defied me to produce the catalog. I wasn't lying, nor is Researcher. I have all the catalogs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, since I already acknowledged that the post-1935 catalogs are inconsistent with Schwing, I don't find vehemence and irritability makes that info more compelling as evidence that Winchester design and production guys didn't consider and document 1936 and later guns as Skeet Grade. This mere inconsistency didn't and still doesn't persuade me that Schwing was wrong in saying the guns became a separate grade in 1936.

If Winchester production records show nothing changed, then why would he make such a specific assertion as this?

"Introduced earlier in the Tournament and Trap Grades as a sub-grade, 1936 was the first year for the Skeet Grade as a grade unto itself."

I'm not calling anyone out, just trying to reconcile the contradiction in a way I think reasonable. I see no reason to question tudurgs veracity in reporting info from his Cody letter -- no more than I'd call you out Bill to scan and show us a post-1935 Cody letter referencing "Skeet Gun".

Like I said, inconsistency isn't so hard for me to accept given all we know about how Winchester operated.

Jay

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 03/02/16 10:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Apologies again as I didn't completely read any post by you regarding your catalog collection.
A quick internet search produced the following item for sale

Product Description
WINCHESTER – Model 21 SKEET, 12ga. 30" barrels choked M/F

Schwing is most likely the seller, huh??

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
[quote=gunut]The "spring assisted" opening feature makes some folks think the action is loose, when the push the top lever over to un-breech the gun-

Are you referring to that little spring connected to the barrel stop? From what I see of how it works on my gun, it does nothing to assist opening -- it just allows the barrel stop to "float" within the lug and very slightly softens the stop's engagement with the frame. I believe the patent description of this feature calls it simply "floating barrel stop".

Jay
Yup!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Apologies again as I didn't completely read any post by you regarding your catalog collection.

Product Description

All wise guying aside,
More delving into the internet shows plethora of "SKEET" stamped 2 barrel sets, the underlying thread is that 1 set is always WS1/WS2.
Do you suppose that the a fore mentioned gun may have originally been part of a 2 barrel set, the Skeet barrels lost to time. Hmmmmm...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Product Description

All wise guying aside,
More delving into the internet shows plethora of "SKEET" stamped 2 barrel sets, the underlying thread is that 1 set is always WS1/WS2.
Do you suppose that the a fore mentioned gun may have originally been part of a 2 barrel set, the Skeet barrels lost to time. Hmmmmm...
That would be my guess, Bob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill - Am in FL presently. Won't get home until April. Will scan it then. I may be playing fast and loose with "Skeet". Forgotten if it says Grade or Finish

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a copy of the 1938 Winchester Sales Manual- re: M21- see pages 38-39-- Trap and Tournament Grades listed only--Nothing about Skeet- which came about in the early 1930's, taken from Wm. Hardon Foster's "Shooting Around The Clock" I have read.RWTF

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.