April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, skeettx, Tim in PA), 362 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Olgrouser #438157 03/06/16 11:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Olgrouser
" You will have the only one at the range or in the field. "

I'm located 30 miles north of the old Woodstock factory so these guns are a bit common around these parts.

So then if 8000 psi = 562.46 kg. are the Kent Pure Gold cartridges are TOO hot for a pretty century Standard Grade No. 40 shotgun? Will these soon render it useless? Is it a safe queen I'm cradling?

I'm not about to start loading BH409 for a 12 gauge I'd rather hunt mu 20 gauge O/Us.

When I looked at your address, for some reason, I was thinking Ontario, California, USA, not Canada.
They probably are more common in that neck of the woods.
We live in good times, and the ammuntion dilema really isn't one-simply get the right ammunition for the gun. Hell, you can buy 2 1/2" black powder loads, if you are so inclined.

Best,
Ted

gunsaholic #438159 03/06/16 11:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
Why do you insist the pure gold are too hot when I've shown you the pressures plus I have used them in mine with no problems. You plan on shooting thousands of rounds.

Though the Tobin would probably only get out once or twice a season, these Kent Pure Gold cartridges are at the upper end of the limit, are they not?

Olgrouser #438160 03/06/16 11:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's one beautiful shotgun. I would go out of my way to find loads for that Tobin.

Olgrouser #438161 03/07/16 12:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

With your Tobin No.18,3XX -
A. when locked up, does the barrel lump protrude thru the bottom of the frame?
B. what are the side plate markings?
C. regarding the recocking of the action when the barrels fall, is the forearm "recocking part" male or female?
Just for my own information, I've been trying for many years to determine when certain construction features/details changed.
I have "Woodstock Ont, Canada" address Tobins from 9,4XX to 19,4XX. My No.19,1XX just shows "TOBIN ARMS" on the side plates. Ted S had an American address Tobin several numbers higher than my Canadian 9,4XX, so it appears that Tobin brought some "work in progress" when he "removed to Canada".
The use/load recommendations from Ted S are right on the money. My 16 GA wand gets out once a year (maybe) for 'leaves up' ruffed grouse. Every several years I'll use it for a round skeet down at Golden Triangle Brockville with my low-calorie homebrew reloads.

Olgrouser #438163 03/07/16 01:17 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Evening Ian. It's been a while, hasn't it?

I stand corrected - serial number 188XX therefore the DOM would be 1916. To answer your questions:

A: no, the frame has solid bottom.

B: as it appears on both sides

TOBIN ARMS MFG CO LTD.
< MAKERS >
WOODSTOCK,ONT,CANADA

C: the cocking part appears F though it would be helpful to have a comparison.

The firearm locks up tight, is on face but has received a coat of refinishing sometime in it's history. The light tiger striped walnut sold the gun to me.

Ian Nixon #438164 03/07/16 01:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the time Tobin doubles were introduced, 1904, smokeless shotgun powders had been in existence for something like 28 years. Factory loaded smokeless powder shotgun shells began being offered by UMC in 1891. Winchester followed by supplying them to "selected shooters" in 1893 and to the general public in 1894. When the Tobin double was introduced in 1904, the heaviest 12-gauge loads being offered by our North American ammunition companies were 1 1/4 ounces of shot pushed by 3 1/2 drams of bulk smokeless powder or 28-grains of dense smokeless powders such as Infallible or Ballistite. Sure there were many lighter loads being offered, but we all know the North American Nimrods penchant for "more is better" so these guns have seen their share of heavy loads over the last 100 plus years. According to some DuPont shotgun powder booklets in my collection these heavy loads developed 11,700 to 12,600 pounds, above SAAMI specs of today.

By 1922 we were getting shotgun shells loaded with progressive burning powders, Western Cartridge Co.'s Super-X loads leading the way. These brought us higher velocities and in the smaller gauges heavier payloads, all at actually lower pressures. By 1925, we got the 12-gauge 3-inch Super-X load with 1 3/8 ounce of shot. In his 1930 catalogue G.B. Crandall was offering his D-Grade Tobin made for these 3-inch high velocity loads.

Olgrouser #438182 03/07/16 09:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Olgrouser
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
Why do you insist the pure gold are too hot when I've shown you the pressures plus I have used them in mine with no problems. You plan on shooting thousands of rounds.

Though the Tobin would probably only get out once or twice a season, these Kent Pure Gold cartridges are at the upper end of the limit, are they not?

Do you consider the paper shells with pressures of 6500 psi to be at the upper limit?
I have no qualms of shooting the plastic hull gamebore through the Tobins with pressures of around 7800 psi.
As mentioned, these guns have had shells put through them through the years that far exceeded 7800 psi.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 03/07/16 09:46 AM.
Ian Nixon #438190 03/07/16 11:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ian Nixon

C. regarding the recocking of the action when the barrels fall, is the forearm "recocking part" male or female?

Could you show us some pictures? All the Tobin shotguns in my collection have the cocking arms protruding from the knuckle as on this gun that is serial numbered about 2000 higher then my highest --

Olgrouser #438191 03/07/16 11:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good morning, Olgrouser.
If you're the gent from whom I bought that Tobin No.19,4XX, then YES, it has been a while. Fondly remember that trip, introduction, visit, and education.
Most Tobin shotguns will exhibit the female forearm. Post Tobin factory closure when Crandall was later assembling "Tobin" shotguns in his OWN Woodstock shop, I think Crandall used up/ran out of an intricate milled steel component part. That part would have been very difficult to make in a one-man band gunshop, so Crandall had to shift gears with a slightly modified cocking system. Hence, the male forearm.
There will be NO doubt whatsoever whether the Tobin forearm is male or female. The Crandall assembled Tobin gun "male forearm" will have two very short round metal rods, maybe 0.25" or slightly smaller diameter and extension, projecting rearwards from the back of the forearm. The back end of the female forearm will NOT have this "male" feature....but will show two rectangular "holes" of short depth.
I suspect Crandall did a LOT of Tobin gun repairs on guns that had seen a lot, and even moderate amounts of use during his mid 1920s to late 1940s Woodstock gunshop ownership. It's also entirely possible that his revision/modification of the original mainspring cocking system was applied during repair to earlier Tobin guns when he ran out of original Tobin manufactured parts.
Hope this helps.

Olgrouser #438196 03/07/16 12:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
You'll get no arguement from me that big number ammunition was available back in the day. But, when I look at a Tobin like this, my Dad and Grandad come to mind. They wouldn't have bought a high grade Tobin, and, they wouldn't have bought one new.
But, due to circumstance, it is the kind of gun they would have bought. My Dad used 6s for most everything, and usually bought what was on sale at the Holiday gas station. He kept an eye on the prices when he filled the car with gas.
Grandpa used 8s for everything except ducks, and then he switched to 4s. He would have bought what was on sale, too.
I think a Tobin fed a steady diet of the highest pressure loads available, then, or now, is going to have a short life.
True, Tobins came into production in 1904, but I think the patent had been around a while. Even using today's steel, I doubt anyone would try to build a new version, now. There is a lot of metal removed off that block of action.
Drew, I had a Tobin the had barrels marked "Krupp". A friend still has it, it is the black pyro-oxidized model.
They are very interesting guns, but, my interests have just moved elsewhere.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.