April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Krag 1902, Hoot4570, Hugh Lomas, drcook, 1 invisible), 821 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43987 06/16/07 10:29 AM
OP Offline

""""The shank and blade are made from S-2 pre-hardened steel which has been engineered specifically for use in the HardstahlSet. The range of sizes in the 20 piece HardstahlTM Set will fit virtually any gun screw slot. The 20 screwdrivers are individually numbered and sized accordingly. The hollow ground tips are easily adjusted to fit any screw slot that is not standard.""""

Well, unfortunately the turnscrews do not fit ANY screw on ANY gun I own, not even the great RBL. I tried to persuade CSMC to fit a set of drivers for the RBL but no such luck. All drivers that are of the correct width for a given screw are to thick to work. I do not possess the necessary wheels to do this fitting correctly.

What is your suggestion?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

I can think of only 2 options, get rid of the set or modify it. How much do you have invested? For $6 you can buy a shaping stone from Brownells and customize it to suit your needs....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1368

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you use a grinding head on a Dremel tool, you can do a pretty good job of shaping your screwdriver heads. Just go slow and in a minute or two, you have it.

Screwdrivers are not to dificult to re-shape as Daryl said, but
Turn-screws I am not so sure.
Unless You live in England.
Casey

I bought a set with numerous bits. Fits everything I have run across so far. I think it was a Miller Eng. set. Different widths and thickness.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would send them back to Galazan and get the complete set including the thin tips from Brownells. They don't look as nice but they work on American and English guns. Having tools that don't work is frustating.
JMHO

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Gordon. The thin tip set from Brownells is excellent, though even they will not fit the tiny European slots often encountered.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately I found that most sets you buy, only a few of them fit the sizes I need. What I do is buy cheap 4"-6" chrome shank Valadium steel screwdrivers and grind them to fit my screws usuing a dial vernier to get the tip correct for the slot in the screw. Most of the time you have to de-mangnatize the screwdriver after grinding them.
I grind them by using the side of the wheel, so that I can keep them parallel to each other.*
Most screwdrivers you buy even if they fit are not right for gun screws. Most screwdriver tips are wedge shaped so only a fraction of the tip is grabbing the slot.

*you should never use the side of the wheel for grinding, but I do it lightly and it is only removing a little metal.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Exactly which dremel grinder do you use?
Do you put the bit in a vice?

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

GregDU, I put the standard dremel tool in the vise and hold the screwdriver, the dremel has always been jumpy in my hands.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.