May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tim Wolf), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was eyeballing a clean pre-war Greifelt O/U today, getting ready do finances in my head. It looked to be in nice condition, till I asked about the chokes. The guy across the counter pulled his handy dandy choke gauge and said Improved and Mod. That seemed a little odd, because in my experience most of the Germanic guns have been full and fuller, or something like that.
I took a good look at the muzzle and darned if the barrels hadn't been cut, not very well, to about 28". Don't know if it had a bulge or what, but the end of the barrels, rib and joins had been lopped off. I could still feel a burr and a lip on the rib and the bluing was gone on everything at the muzzle. I didn't have a wall thickness gauge, but am optomistically wondering if I can simply have the muzzle squared, rib and joins filled, barrels threaded for chokes and be back in business.
I'm guessing a lot of value left when the hack/chop saw came out, and wondering if that would offset the cost of making things right. Thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

not unless the dealer is paying you to take it off his hands....

to tell the truth if you can just have the barrels squared off, voids filled , and live with the remaining choke....and pay 33% of book value for the gun,..but Id just walk away.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

It could be a useful field gun, but it will never be "right".
I would want to measure chokes and bores carefully, and then get it for a very low price.
Flawed guns don't get better with time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That gauge he used isn't all that accurate. You need to measure bore diameter and at the end of the barrels to see how much construction you really have. Then figure in if you're just going to clean it up yourself or pay to have it done and shoot it the way it is, or the cost for choke tubes. Discount the above plus 30 % for cut barrels and it'll get you in the ball park for value. Good luck - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
It will never be "right".
Flawed guns don't get better with time.

+1 to this.

From years of education, at the school of hard knocks.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ya wanna collect it, or ya wanna shoot it? Collectible value is shot (pardon the pun) but there are some guns with cut barrels out there that have made a lot of hunters happy.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

These guns were all made for fiber wads and modern wads make them shoot very tight, and sometimes "blown", patterns. It is not at all uncommon, on "using" guns, to have the chokes altered, chambers lengthened, and less often-barrels shortened. In my often disregarded opinion, unless you expect to make a lot of money selling this gun, you are better off with this gun than one that is "right". It doesn't make sense to pay a premium for an unaltered gun and then alter it to make it useable. My advice is to square the muzzle up ,polish it( the muzzles of new German guns were usually "bright" anyway) and use it as long as your legs allow you to follow a bird dog. BTY "choke" is designated by a percentage of shot in the pattern, and the common gage cannot measure this.
Mike

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, I went to an auction about three years ago that had several vintage sxs's for sale. Everyone of the guns had had 2" lopped off their barrels because the fellow who owned them was a huge quail hunter behind pointing dogs and wanted virtually no choke in either barrel. They all sold cheap for sure. To me it depends on usage and on what you can get it for. Nothing wrong with having a rainy day gun or a beater gun.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently brokered the sale of 3 12 gauge side-by-side double guns, for an estate settlement. A Parker GH- 30" uncut Special Steel barrels, DT, non ejector- M&F chokes, 2.625" chambers made in Meriden in 1926-- And two OO grade L.C. Smith doubles, both in 85% condition and with Armor steel barrels- DT, ext. field stocks- one had uncut 30" barrels- the other had the barrels cut to 27&58"- the Smith with the "unmolested" barrels sold for almost 4 times what the "butchered" OO grade fetched- Any idiot that cuts the barrels down on any good shotgun deserves to have the fleas of a thousand camels infest his crotch for the next 10 years--Only other disaster would be to take a Pigeon grade pre-1950 Model 12 Trap gun with the older style milled rib, and cut it down for either a Poly-Choke or a Cutts Compensator- both "God-damn pickles" as my late Grandfather would say. Never share a duck blind or a goose pit with someone using such a "FUBARed" pumpgun.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
Boxlock

Unless you're going relegate the gun to knockabout field use, I would walk away.
In my experience you'll spend more time aggravated about it, trying to come up with ways to have it "made right" than it's worth.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.