May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Jolly Bill, R. Glenz, Marks_21, Argo44, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,540
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you RWTF, that was an interesting take on hunting and gunning.
During my last 10 years of upland hunting and my last 30 years of water fowling, I have concentrated on refining my skills and tools.
I have trained my French Brittany to a level far beyond my other dogs, in that she is steady to wing, shot and fall. Recently, she stopped running pheasant by going around the bird and then holding it until I got to her point.

Speaking of "frugal".
My 16 Ga. reloads of 3/4, 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 ounce loads obtained via the 16 Ga. Society have been patterned to my happiness, which allows for a frugal and effective approach to upland bird hunting.
Also, 30 years ago after seeing the waste of ammo and the crippling effect that pass shooting has on geese, I vowed to improve my calling skills and since then have shot only decoying geese with 2 3/4" 12 Ga. ammo.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like blondes. Ask me to describe the perfect woman and odds are she will have blonde hair.

But in no way does that mean that when confronted with a comely brunette or redhead, that I would forego that experience because I have it in my head that blondes are best.

Sometimes, you have no idea what you like until you try it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes- Blondes- the preference of gentlemen, as per the late Marilyn Monroe- my choice too. But banging women, and banging down birds are by no means the one and same "ball game"-- I shot partners pool last Sat. evening with a hot redhead at the Flat River Pub- and she can rack my balls anytime, hand running. Actually, she did, but not at the Pub-at her place apres. But, I digress- I don't see how getting laid has anything in comparison to a man's choice of many good gauges for dropping birds. If you like the 16-and can cover the cost, and it kills birds cleanly without crippling (like the damned .410) then that's your Huckleberry, Laddy. Oh, I heard a good new pool term- we were playing 8 ball for $ at the Pub-when the other team (two lezzies, both good players-) broke- and 15 balls plus the "16 ball" that is, the cue ball, spun around the green felt, without any of them dropping into any of the 6 pockets-- My partner called out loudly-- "Dolly Parton break"-- I looked at her, a tad puzzled-then she explained it to me: "Big Bust, No Balls"!! Loved it!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Francis, if you don't mind, I'm going to use that line next time I play. But I digress....

Choices are choices, whether women or guns. And without trying the specific, it hard to know which one might like. That's all.

I've shot 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410. I have 12's and 16's in my safes and would like a really nice .410. Looking for the opportunity to try a nice light 10. But then, I like trying new things...always have.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Please do. I think it's a classic. The other reason I avoid the 16- all my duck hunting camo coats-parkas are set for 12 gauge only shells- mainly 2.75" but I also own and shoot 3 longer chambered pumpguns- 2 Model 12 Heavy Duck guns, and a nasty weather special ops. Mossenburger 835-- so I do need to be careful if I am shooting a Model 12- 12 gauge 2.75" chambered pumpgun for waterfowling- And I have a lighter green hunting coat and also a tan vest- both marked 20 gauge on the front breast pocket area- for the times (very few) when I use my 20 gauge M12--if we had a legal quail season here in MI- that might be more often. So, should I acquire a 16- in my senior years with memory slips now and then, I would need to get another coat and vest, and mark them for 16 gauge shells. Do they still color code 16 gauge shells, as Federal did years ago-purple.?? Hum, wonder if LL Bean has a "Jimmie Hendrix" edition of their upland hunting apparel- nice purple touches, color of royalty-and sometimes even Sir Elton John- Wow!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF wrote,"So, should I acquire a 16- in my senior years with memory slips now and then, I would need to get another coat and vest, and mark them for 16 gauge shells."

Naw, as good shot as you are, you could keep a few extra' shell in your vest pockets.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks- I think. Here is how I evalute my shooting afield- Note- I am NOT a serious clays shooter- same farms in summer- barn pigeons-also blackbirds (NOT red-winged however) pass shooting them as they circle the feed lots, etc. 1931 M12 20 gauge 28" mod choke- AA skeet loads- compared to 1921 M12 12 gauge 28" mod. with AA No. 8 shot skeet loads- I drop about the % of birds on any one given day, but the ones I shot with the 12 tend to crumple in the air and leave a "South Dakota snowstorm" of feathers, the ones I hit with the 20- drop but no "snowstorm" As I am a sucker for visual effects, and I reload 12 AA hulls (but not 20) I usually use a 12 gauge. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re visual effects, Fox, how come preferring common clickety-clacks almost exclusively in a world of beautiful doubles for the choosing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF wrote, “Do they still color code 16 gauge shells, as Federal did years ago-purple.?? Hum, wonder if LL Bean has a "Jimmie Hendrix" edition of their upland hunting apparel- nice purple touches, color of royalty-and sometimes even Sir Elton John- Wow!!”

Yes, Federal still color codes their shells. Not only do they have purple, but they have pink and red, white and blue. Pink is for Breast Cancer Awareness and red, white and blue is to honor Wounded Warriors.

Cliff Clavin told me that to honor “old guys” Federal is coming out with a prostate awareness shell, but he didn’t know what color has been decided upon.

RMC hulls are for the short term non-frugal upland hunter and long term wise money manager. Short term non frugal guy because the cost over $5 each and long term because they can be loaded over 3,000 times. And … they look very good going into a 16 Ga. game gun.

King, speaking of beautiful visual effects.

Your vest problems can be solved by a good women with a sewing machine.

So, When you see the light and buy a 16 Ga. game gun along with RMC hulls, it only makes sense to join up with the great folks at the 16 Ga. Society.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Hum, wonder if LL Bean has a "Jimmie Hendrix" edition of their upland hunting apparel- nice purple touches, color of royalty-and sometimes even Sir Elton John- Wow!!

RWTF
You just haven't had the Hendrix 16ga experience. smile

Purple Haze all in my brain,
lately things don't seem the same,
actin' funny but I don't know why
'scuse me while I "shoot in" the sky.

Bill Johnson
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.