March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (canvasback, Jimmy W, FelixD, Dan R, CJF, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 63 of 73 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 72 73
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lead shot hardened with antimony has a density of 11.1 g/cc. I have tungsten shot with a density of 19 g/cc. Federal HW turkey loads have shot with 15 g/cc. The higher density shot is expensive and imported from China. It's too expensive for commercial loads (so far) and users pay from $45 to 60 per pound. In the overall scheme of things, shell cost is the cheapest element of turkey hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am fully aware of the tungsten/small shot/dense swarm story, and I also know it is lethal in small gauges, but I just think the .410 package is carrying it out to the fringe. One or two small twigs or a very light bush such as a scraggly huckleberry and a few catbriars that you hardly notice can deflect that tiny load.

Anyone who shoots a 12 ga. 3 1/2" load for turkeys is wasting money, shot, and suffering undue recoil, not to mention lugging around that cannon. You can also bet he's taking 55-60 yd. shots because that's either as close as he can get him, or he's so full of blood lust or worry about the other guy getting the turkey, he just shoots and hopes.

Personally, I use a Beretta 686 Onyx (matte) w/28" bbls. and two standard Mobilchoke full chokes, with 2 3/4" 12 ga. WW Supreme Extended Range #5 shot, and don't shoot at a gobbler past 35 yds, with most being killed inside 30 yds.

I also abhor the use of a decoy in a green patch or opening. Decoys are for those who don't know how to call and lack the woodsmanship necessary to get in place and get the turkey to come inside 35 yds. It's about fooling him, not killing him any way you can. Decoys are the worst thing that's ever happened to turkey hunting.

The 20 gauge with the new tungsten loads should be easy enough in a gas auto (Beretta A400 w/Kick-Off) for anyone to shoot, and is worlds ahead of a .410. A 3" 20 with 1 1/4 oz. of 7 1/2 tungsten would be my smallest recommendation, but y'all let your conscience be your guide.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 03/31/16 06:19 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I'm not even going to bring up the subject of Chufas...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or fanning....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever.

If you can crawl 300 yds. through a hay field and get within shotgun range (40 yds. or less) of a turkey and shoot him, that's actually a legit turkey.

Or, if you can position yourself where a gobbler you've spotted on a power or pipe line will walk within shotgun range, without making a single call, that's a legit turkey.

But sitting on a green patch with a f*cking decoy, then murdering the poor bastard when he runs up to it, that is NOT a legit turkey.

Just remember, you are not entitled to a single one.
JR

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

How about how we do it on the Rez? One guy hides while while a couple of Indians (our guides) herd them down a draw and all hell breaks loose when the guy pops out behind a tree? Sure is fun....next fall we are going to have a Turkey shoot with rook rifles, perfectly legal and should be a hoot!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought you was s'posed to shoot them off the limb before they flew down from the roost. What's all this calling' and decoy stuff about? wink

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I thought you was s'posed to shoot them off the limb before they flew down from the roost. What's all this calling' and decoy stuff about? wink

SRH

Good point, Stan. Hey, and old pro turkey hunter told me once, "son, if'n you good 'nuf to slip in under a gobbler on the roost 'fore daylight and roll 'im out, more pow'r to ye'."

He also said he knew a particuarly hard-bit meat hunter, and said about him, "when all else failed, he would yelp."
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 03/31/16 08:07 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts

But sitting on a green patch with a f*cking decoy, then murdering the poor bastard when he runs up to it, that is NOT a legit turkey.

Just remember, you are not entitled to a single one.
JR

JR, I am curious about your aversion to and disapproval of decoys for Turkey hunting. I was Turkey hunting before decoys came out, but bought one of the soft rubber fold up ones when they did. Before I got the decoy, my favored method was to hunt in the woods, moving often until I was working an active bird, and rely completely upon the call. I liked the decoy because the Gobbler would see it and it would take his attention from my fidgeting.

However, I found my hunting method changing toward pasture edges and power or pipe lines (strutting sites), and yes green patches/plots because of the presumed effectiveness of the decoy. I do not believe the decoy is all that effective. What kind of decoy are the South Mississippi guys using anyway?

Both hunting methods are effective, but I don't see the decoy as being unethical, just cumbersome and not really necessary. Other than just disapproval what are your thoughts about the ethics of decoys? Do you disapprove of duck decoys or dove spinner wings?...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 04/01/16 01:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, to your question. Turkey hunting is not about killing, it is about the challenge of getting the gobbler in close (40 yds and less, preferably 35) by the use of your attained knowledge acquired from years of trial and error, learning the woodsmanship skills necessary to avoid spooking him, knowing where to park your ass when you set up to call, knowing how and when to call and what call and caller to use in the situation presented, when to get up and move, when to stay put, and on and on.

It's pitting all of the skills above to win the battle of wits, not killing him anyway you can just so you can say you killed him.

A decoy removes most of this and amounts to a surrender of sorts, admitting you aren't willing to learn these skills and work hard enough to become proficient at them and become known for your dedication, rather than just buying a shortcut to pulling the trigger.

Ducks and doves are wingshooting and are not even remotely similar pursuits. But then you knew that.

And quit fidgeting.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/01/16 07:58 PM.

Page 63 of 73 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.