April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (coosa, susjwp, Ted Schefelbein), 1,010 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing at all King.With the right wads,primers and cases it will provide 7/8 and 1 oz.loads in the 6000 psi range that burn clean in all temps,at good velocities,are economical,available, and smell good too.... smile

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Half-serious about 700X for "everything," Terry. Franc may have forgotten that he mentioned a favourite one-ounce 700X load many, many years ago which I think I found later in an IMR manual: Rem hull, 17.0, 1150fps, 5600psi. No worries ignition in any weather, finest kind over decoys, including geese. For those feeling macho: 1 1/8 ounce, 17.5, 1145, 7600.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I first started loading 3/4 and 7/8 oz. 12 ga. loads I was using Red Dot with Claybuster CB0175-12 wads. You could get as low as 5750 psi using a 3/4 oz. load in a Remington Nitto, Gun Club and as low as 6800 psi using a 7/8 oz. load in the same hull.
I have now switched to TiteWad using 3/4 oz. loads and getting about the same psi as the others. A very clean and fast burning powder. From the chart, TiteWad is the #6 fastest burning powder, Red Dot is right below it around #8. Both of these powders and the loads are around 1150-1200 fps.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hadn't been able to find Extralite, which is my favorite powder for low pressure 12ga loads--albeit not down in the 4K psi range--for some time. Recently picked up an 8# jug. Couple reasons I like it: I tried both 700X and American Select, and while both will give low pressures, the loads call for around 20% more powder (17 grains AS vs the 14.2 XL I use in my loads) per shell. And Extra-Lite is extremely clean-burning. Shot a couple rounds of skeet the other day, looked down my barrels. They were almost as free of powder as if I hadn't fired the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last count I had more than dozen different powders on hand for shotgun. Only four or five for low pressure. Primers, I have seven different brands, wads maybe 20+ different ones, hulls must be eight to ten different options in 12, less in small bores. Reloading is easy but it can get complicated real fast if you load for multiple guns, different games, different ga., even different shot sizes and pay loads.

7625 is still out there in some of the smaller gun shops. Bought a can two weeks ago but it was the last one they had. Loaded it up for a Lefever which loves it. $20 for the can which was not bad I thought.

I use PB a lot for low pressure loads. About two months ago I put out the call for any that was sitting around and ended up with four eight pound kegs. I paid from 140 to a high of 200 per keg( average of just over 160) and some will think that too much but I spent twenty years getting safe loads for any of my guns with that powder and had no desire to start over. That will run me for the rest of my shooting life I suspect.

Armslist, trap shooters.com, basic internet searches for forum threads about hard to find powder have all generated leads. I found one small dealer with a web site, on that he had a link to Facebook and who had a Facebook picture of .22 ammo and also showing PB sitting on the shelf in he background. Picture was recent, sent a email and sure enough they had two jugs. Wanted 230 each but ended up selling it for 200.00 each because the were getting out of stocking powder and this was on the shelf for two years or there about. Point is get creative and you might find a few pounds of powder still and that will run you for several more years. I'll keep an eye out for you if you want.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Last count I had more than dozen different powders on hand for shotgun. Only four or five for low pressure. Primers, I have seven different brands, wads maybe 20+ different ones, hulls must be eight to ten different options in 12, less in small bores. Reloading is easy but it can get complicated real fast if you load for multiple guns, different games, different ga., even different shot sizes and pay loads.

7625 is still out there in some of the smaller gun shops. Bought a can two weeks ago but it was the last one they had. Loaded it up for a Lefever which loves it. $20 for the can which was not bad I thought.

I use PB a lot for low pressure loads. About two months ago I put out the call for any that was sitting around and ended up with four eight pound kegs. I paid from 140 to a high of 200 per keg( average of just over 160) and some will think that too much but I spent twenty years getting safe loads for any of my guns with that powder and had no desire to start over. That will run me for the rest of my shooting life I suspect.

Armslist, trap shooters.com, basic internet searches for forum threads about hard to find powder have all generated leads. I found one small dealer with a web site, on that he had a link to Facebook and who had a Facebook picture of .22 ammo and also showing PB sitting on the shelf in he background. Picture was recent, sent a email and sure enough they had two jugs. Wanted 230 each but ended up selling it for 200.00 each because the were getting out of stocking powder and this was on the shelf for two years or there about. Point is get creative and you might find a few pounds of powder still and that will run you for several more years. I'll keep an eye out for you if you want.

Good ideas! I've got a wanted ad up at a Michigan shooting site, and I've been calling around. I'll buy it if I can find it too. I still have just under a pound of PB too for a trade lol. But if I can't find any more, I think I'll give 700X a try, it's only $20/lb locally.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

King B...shoot, you have some memory there mate...what wad n primer? Rem 209 & that green fig 8?
That was in my Cautious Early days of just getting into loading,as you say, a long time ago.
Im not shooting much these days due to lack of funds.
But if i were to start up..id be happy with 7000psi
best to all
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington hull primer 209P powder 17.0 grains of 700X wad CB1100-12 velocity 1150fps pressure 5600psi---I list it as "Franc's Load". Immortality!

FYI---We expect to have Kent bismuth 2 3/4-inch 1 1/16oz in Canada in June, velocity and pressure specs still unavailable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When 700X first came out they recomended it for everything but 410. My brother in law has a set of skeet tubes that look like a snake that ate several mice. In my opinion it's one of the hotter powers.

bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.