April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#441249 04/11/16 10:06 PM
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

seems like hans down, the browning bss with 30" barrels is a forum favorite...

any others worthy of mention...

last i herd, florida sc champ was shooting a 1900 vintage parker with barrels sleeved and regulated by famed nh gunsmith ed lander...

Last edited by ed good; 04/15/16 02:53 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of choices: Winchester 21 & 23, Kemen, SKB 385 & 485 plus new batch from Turkye, AyA 56, Arrieta 600, ..... Even Merkel made heavier one with choke tubes for sport shooting. I would say the best value would be Sears Roebuck 100 made by Aguirre & Arranzabal.
The best bang for buck would be ca. 1980 "verticallelas" from Brescia by Perazzi. The ones with fixed trigger coil springs and no rib between barrels are true bargains. I have seen one in excellent condition w/o original plastic hard care and accessories for about $500 more than typical BSS 12 ga Sporter in same condition. The Italian gun has superior trigger, barrels, choke tubes, Boss-type barrel/receiver locking system that will last hundreds of thousands rounds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
. last i herd, florida sc champ was shooting a 1900 vintage parker with barrels sleeved and regulated by famed nh gunsmith ed lander...

Did he torch it, too, with those fabulous frog eye colors?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

any others worthy of mention...

Glad you asked Ed. Here's a few things you said here that are worthy of mention:

as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

if society, via our law makers, deem it necessary to restrict or prohibit our possession of certain classes of arms, then every good citizen should obey the law for the good of the majority.

and if some here wish to discuss further restriction and prohibition of certain classes of arms here, then why not?

http://news.yahoo.com/celebrities-demand-removal-confederate-symbol-mississippi-flag-225831525.html

if mississippians can have a dialog regarding restriction of the display of "the flag", then why cant we have a dialog here regarding the restriction of semi auto handguns?

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 3 million members and supporters.

PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in the clothing trade, in laboratories, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds, and other “pests” as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.

PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns.

Read more: http://www.peta.org/about-peta/#ixzz2nGfdrBVK

don't sound so bad to me? what do you think?

and here is what Wikipedia has to say about peta:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA

again, whats the problem some have with this organization?

less firepower would result in less deaths from too much firepower in the hands of too many people...

it aint about bannin guns and it certainly aint bout bannin cars...

uh, its about firepower...

an ah will ax duh question once again:

"have we the people exceeded our carrying capacity for firepower?"

recognize that there are too many guns in too many hands...reduce those numbers and gun related violence will also be reduced...it is as simple as that...too much of anything is not good.

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Democracies make choices. Americans accept mass murder to defend an individual right to bear arms in the name of personal freedom.

Oops, sorry... that last one was a quote from your buddy King. But you did agree with him, so I think it will be OK with you.

Some people still say there are no anti-gun Trolls here.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where's "Misfires" when we need it?

Re sxs for Sporting Clays, I do prefer 30" barrels, but I don't prefer anything nearly as heavy as a BSS. Had my hands on a very nice customized Parker a few years back. Long barrels, choke tubes, restocked, very nice job. Shot it in a skeet league and at SC. I've since discovered that while SOME additional weight works well for me in a target gun, a lot of additional weight--in comparison to "game guns"--does not. I'm currently working with a nice Webley & Scott, 30". It only weighs 6 1/2, but balances about an inch in front of the hinge pin. I know that's too light for most people for a target gun, and I've played with a few others in the 7# range, which I think is about as heavy as I want to go.

Another candidate that doesn't break the bank would be one of the Ithaca SKB's with 30" barrels. Not a lot of them out there. Most of the ones I've seen have 3" chambers (the Ithaca SKB 12ga sxs were usually 2 3/4") with a factory recoil pad. I think the original idea was for waterfowl back when you could still shoot lead, possibly doubling as a sxs trap gun. That was before SC caught hold in this country.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am surprised that no one has suggested a Beretta 409 or 410 in 12 gauge. They are a little heavy for an upland gun, but robust and reliable.
I would say they have lots of potential for a good SxS target gun at a reasonable price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perazzi DC12 would have to be on the list, but she's about $15k.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, there is a step up in price - from a sub-$2K BSS to a Perazzi.
Just to keep it real, from a gentleman of modest means perspective, I am going to shoot an AyA model 106 16 gauge this Spring. I don't shoot SC competitively, only recreationally, with one or two friends.
My Model 106 is a slender Euro gun, non-catalogued 680 mm barrels (26.6 inches), 6 pounds 6 ounces with extractors.
I believe this is the same model of gun that Sears offered in the US, albeit in more American style.
I think I will not have a problem with recoil, firing up to 100 one ounce, 2 3/4 dram, 16 gauge cartridges in a day.

Last edited by Saskbooknut; 04/12/16 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
Sidelock
Sidelock

Poli Sporting is another option. Not sure if one can order a new one these days but there are some used ones around. Have a least 6 or 8 thousand rounds thru my 32 inch 20 ga. Only problem has been one ejector spring which Coles repaired reasonable with quick turn around. A friend has a 12 gauge which is his favorite shotgun, O/U or SxS. He has many times the rounds thru his as mine. Has had a few problems but all fairly easily repaired.

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well posted Keith.

As for Ed Good, I remind you that the founding fathers wanted the people armed because they and the people were afraid of the GOVERNMENT!

Nothing has changed.
danc

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.