April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,014 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

In addition to all of his other skills, Mr. Petrov was one heck of a photographer.

What a treasury of information and history.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

He was a great photographer, but I don't think Michael took these photos. This is one of two original vintage photo albums. No details on whose collection or who took the photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the albums going to a museum, and, if so,which one?

Thanks for sharing these treasures!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So ...

I asked for help from a friend and acquaintance of Michael's to reach out to Cody's McCracken Library. This is where Michael wanted his materials to go.

He wrote an email (copying me) with a detailed description of the contents of Michael's research drawers. They responded but "were disappointed that much of the original catalogs and other original items had been sold".

We followed up by asking if they would accept the materials including all the original Niedner letters, shop books, photos, etc and there wasn't any answer for almost two weeks. After a more strongly worded email, they responded and apologized saying they were working on a grant that had an imminent deadline the following day. That was two weeks ago.

After their unresponsiveness, and general lack of interest I spoke to Michael's wife and she told me to look for a new home for the material. Although it is not finalized, it is highly likely that the materials will go the ASSRA archives. Although Michael's research and files primarily dealt with custom 20th century gunmakers (and bolt-action sporting rifles) they understand the importance of the materials and are genuinely interested in obtaining them. They also have the shop records for Eric Johnson, so the ASSRA Archives are not a complete mismatch. I believe that individuals may get easier access to the materials as well.

This note is likely to generate a lot of thoughts and opinions. I hope the readers will respect our decision.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, I commend you on your dedication dispersing Michael's vast collection. I have do doubt in the wisdom of seeking other viable options for the disposition of his research. While the McCracken Library is a fantastic research and collection facility, not everyone has the resources or time to take advantage of it's archives.

I too believe other options may open the door for more people to gain access to it.
Art

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I have in private, I would again like to publicly thank you Joe Dobrzynski, for the phenomenal effort you have made in the dispersal of Michael Petrov's personal collection.
The continuation of his legacy via his research archives is an undertaking I can't imagine any of us would want the responsibility for and I fully support your judgement and decisions as I'm sure Michael would.
SDH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.