May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Salopian), 915 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44161 06/17/07 12:57 PM
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seller states tang and water table nos. match but barrels and forend do not. I'll have to ask him what exactly that means but presumably it would be wishful thinking to imagine that the barrels are numbered to the frame and only the forend a sub. In the meantime, does the appearance of the doll's head suggest anything about problems with the fit of barrels? It has such nice feathered "footballs" and below 1k price.

jack

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would ask for a veiw from straight down and directly from the side of the standing breech. Barrels look to be a bit smaller than frame but hard to tell from that angle?

For less than a grand, if it is mechanically correct...does it matter if they are off a bit?

And if the barrels fit tclose enuff for you and the dolls head is otherwise fitted correctly, could you not spend a few $$ to have the dolls head filed down and re-engraved, meyebe?

I like it too!

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven

I'll bet a dollar to a dime the composer closed the barrels ever so gently as to keep the lever right of center. Close tightly the dolls head seats flush and the lever is at least centered. But I could be wrong. ;-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even if the barrels need some refitting it is seems to me worth the under 1K price. When I had to refit the barrels to the Parker I just did the dolls head was just like this one when I was very close to being there.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

That angle does not give you any real information on the fit of the barrels. I know Parkers are magic to many but that is one that I would say pass on. When you see a photo that is at a odd angle, or from a perspective that does not give you a real look at the gun I just figure the seller knows more than he is willing to tell you. Buy the gun, have it shipped to you and then get a look at it and decide if you want to keep it if you do not mind wasting $75-100.00 in shipping and insurance. Make that mistake a few times and you could afford to buy a decent shape Parker without any warts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the doll's head is that far off, there are about eight other points of contact that may not fit any better. To make a perfect fit by just filing down the doll's head is a one in a hundred crap shoot. You have to have this one in your hand to determine how bad it is. What are the barrel markings on the rib and water table? The barrels may be worth something if they are a desirable frame size, steel type, etc, but only if they haven't been messed with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

rabbit - I'd say the chances of getting "skinned" on this one are a lot higher than the chances of getting a bargain. For sure, get it into the hands of a good "schmidt" before you committ the money. Actually, I'd say save your shipping money and keep looking for one that needs only refinish work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What does it say on the rib? Parker Special = GH, Vulcan = VH, a good set of Parker tubes will bring $600, I would buy it.
bill

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rebarreled with "Vulcan Steel" so from a lower grade. I requested extra photos and I will say for the seller that he wants you to have the opportunity to "see" what you're getting as closeups of the forend iron and action knuckle weren't encouraging. I doubt if he would be particularly responsive to questions about the quality of the refit and then I would become one of those troublesome "tirekickers" we hear so much about. Thanks to the majority on this thread for pulling me back from the edge. Keep my eye on it merely to see if it is an attractive "bargain" to someone else. Thanks all.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

The trouble with Parker Bros.....I've seen the old farts make the sign of the cross with their fingers when viewing a non-original "Night of the living dead" Parker.
Why it would send shock waves thru out Charlatanville(mothership of the PGCA).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.