March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, Little Creek, SKB, DaveB, gunmaker, 1 invisible), 788 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#441770 04/15/16 11:36 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

So someone hacked the Upland Journal board today. It's shutdown now, I don't know for how long. So I thought I would come spend some time on the doublegun board. I don't spend much time here usually unless trying to research something specifically, but I do check it out now and then.

What did I end up finding here today? Discussions about great/unique SxS's? Nope... Just an old fashioned dick measuring contest. Seriously are there Mods on this site? If so what could possibly be the reason for letting this type of conversation go on?

Last edited by jakeismydog2; 04/15/16 11:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hahaha! Obviously you haven't spent much time here. We are a self moderating group of people with strongly held views. I think mostly we prefer measuring barrel wall thickness but you never know. This IS the internet. If you haven't found interesting conversations about double guns I might politely suggest you haven't looked very hard.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

And you can also find out a great deal about the late Ernest Miller Hemingway- both his life, works and his personal firearms- We have several members, yours truly included, who are somewhat fluent in many languages, among them being German-and we have a great German/Austrian gun sector with many well-informed contributors- Handguns- No-- and rifles, as long as we are talking the great custom riflesmiths- past and present-

Dave Weber, our gracious host, allows all who post here a great deal of lee-way- Like myself, he not only subscribes to the full meaning of the First (and of course-the Second) Amendments, but he also feels, as do I (in spades) that When Eric Blair (aka- George Orwell) wrote his classic "Animal Farm" the line- "All animals are equal, but some are MORE EQUAL than others" is a faux pas here-you perhaps subscribe to that concept- you'd be better served patrolling the halls of the PGCA and the LCSCA- you'd fit right in there I am sure.

As far as dick measuring- no "Peter-Meter" needed here- the closest we come to that is discussing on of Jon Hosford's fine barrel gauges-

And if you enjoy trivia pursuit, as do I, well there's a lot of that from time to time- perhaps too much, but I tend to hang out with those with keen powers of observation- Also, not a bad trait to have when looking over a pricey side-by at a gun show- Caveat Emptor--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here, let me help you:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441414&page=all

This was a discussion about a Spanish maker, not often seen. There were good photos and a good discussion. Kyrie has a pretty good grasp on Spanish shotguns. Glad he shares it, here.

This one is 'sorta developing, but, Rocketman can get pretty close on value, without even seeing a photo of the gun, amazing. The only other place you would see this, is somewhere else he posts:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441746#Post441746

This post has lots of information about a seldom seen English maker. Some of the gents from England that post here are capable of finding incredible info on makers you don't hear of every day of the week:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441731&gonew=1#UNREAD

Here was a thread about an unmarked gun from Belguim. If you had gone there, you would have seen a gun that was exceptionally high quality, and has no name on it. I've always wondered about guns that simply reek of quality, that never had a name on them. Who built them? Why was a name left off?
I was glad I got to see it:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=440486&page=all

A thread about good, old, depression era American guns. Had you paid attention, you would have learned the material a couple of different models were built of, and the differences in lockup. One point I meant to add to the thread, but, never got around to, was that either design, the NID or the Nitro, if not in need of repair (these guns are most of 100 years old, and often used very hard over that time) is a great gun to just go hunting or shooting with. My Nitro 16 had a crowd gathered around it, last time I was at the range.
I'm going to set a disabled friend up with that gun in the very near future.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441700#Post441700

Now, that I've taken a minute or three to show you some posts that featured all kinds of good solid information on double guns, can I take just one second to point out what you have contributed to the site, in your above post?

Nothing. Zip, nada, zilch.

I hope upland journal comes back up real soon, so you can go back there. Hopefully, your posts there are actually worth something. I wouldn't bet on it, however, and don't care enough to bother looking.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

or as my wife would say a wealth of useless knowledge....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jakedog, don't be put off by the reception you received for leading out with a criticism of our dysfunctional little family here. There is actually some pretty good content on this bulletin board. Feel free to stick around and take part...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunut, I would hate to disagree with your wife, but I credit this site entirely for my limited knowledge and thus far safe operation of antique doubles as well as the continued possession of all my digits as I shoot ever older guns smile

Let me just add further that I am very grateful for the knowledge of all on here and the generosity displayed in a continued willingness to share it!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Here, let me help you:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441414&page=all

This was a discussion about a Spanish maker, not often seen. There were good photos and a good discussion. Kyrie has a pretty good grasp on Spanish shotguns. Glad he shares it, here.

This one is 'sorta developing, but, Rocketman can get pretty close on value, without even seeing a photo of the gun, amazing. The only other place you would see this, is somewhere else he posts:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441746#Post441746

This post has lots of information about a seldom seen English maker. Some of the gents from England that post here are capable of finding incredible info on makers you don't hear of every day of the week:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441731&gonew=1#UNREAD

Here was a thread about an unmarked gun from Belguim. If you had gone there, you would have seen a gun that was exceptionally high quality, and has no name on it. I've always wondered about guns that simply reek of quality, that never had a name on them. Who built them? Why was a name left off?
I was glad I got to see it:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=440486&page=all

A thread about good, old, depression era American guns. Had you paid attention, you would have learned the material a couple of different models were built of, and the differences in lockup. One point I meant to add to the thread, but, never got around to, was that either design, the NID or the Nitro, if not in need of repair (these guns are most of 100 years old, and often used very hard over that time) is a great gun to just go hunting or shooting with. My Nitro 16 had a crowd gathered around it, last time I was at the range.
I'm going to set a disabled friend up with that gun in the very near future.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441700#Post441700

Now, that I've taken a minute or three to show you some posts that featured all kinds of good solid information on double guns, can I take just one second to point out what you have contributed to the site, in your above post?

Nothing. Zip, nada, zilch.

I hope upland journal comes back up real soon, so you can go back there. Hopefully, your posts there are actually worth something. I wouldn't bet on it, however, and don't care enough to bother looking.

Best,
Ted

And here you go making my point for me Ted. Thanks. There is a bunch of good info on here as I said I have found before. Only yesterday when I logged on I clicked on what I thought would be a discussion about BSS's of which I have not shot one, but I did own the Miroku version at one time. By the time I waded through all the BS on that thread I wasn't really interested in checking out the other threads. Figured it was going to be more of the same.

If this is the way all you guys enjoy your forum then keep on keeping on. I am just surprised that the majority of forum members here like off topic discussions. I can't imagine that you will attract many new members, but maybe you don't want too.

Since it seems you guys don't mind threads that aren't about the original topic or that are necessarily about double guns then I feel it's not ridiculous to ask this:

Ted can you explain your tag line? "Who would Jesus behead?" I am not trying to be rude or anything I simply don't understand what that means.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, after you found a post on Browning BSS guns, and it wasn't to your liking, did you then go to this one, where, you could have looked around and found an answer to your questions, or learned something? DId you search BSS to find what the site had to offer?

Or, did you just go straight to the post box and trash the whole place?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441493&page=all

Not sure if you know Ed1 or not, but, there is some very sound advice on this board, even in the post that set you all a twitter. If you can find it, hard as it might be for you to look for it, you will get some GREAT advice for you and your wallet, should you stumble on to one of his auctions.

My tag line, points out that the one, actual, saviour, never harmed ANYONE.

Nor, would he. I would have thought that would have been obvious. I guess not.

Food for thought, in a dangerous world.

Upland Journal back up yet?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
So, after you found a post on Browning BSS guns, and it wasn't to your liking, did you then go to this one, where, you could have looked around and found an answer to your questions, or learned something? DId you search BSS to find what the site had to offer?

Or, did you just go straight to the post box and trash the whole place?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441493&page=all

Not sure if you know Ed1 or not, but, there is some very sound advice on this board, even in the post that set you all a twitter. If you can find it, hard as it might be for you to look for it, you will get some GREAT advice for you and your wallet, should you stumble on to one of his auctions.

My tag line, points out that the one, actual, saviour, never harmed ANYONE.

Nor, would he. I would have thought that would have been obvious. I guess not.

Food for thought, in a dangerous world.

Upland Journal back up yet?

Best,
Ted

Not yet, dammit.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.