March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hammergun, Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 780 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://randywakeman.com/NoBarrelDamageNoTox.htm

I can't figure out for the life of me why Kent has to load their tungsten matrix so hot. I'm not blowing off the top of a mountain to get to the coal.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Speed kills", a lesson learned by many a snow goose hunter and pass shooter the hard way after lead was banned & the early steel shot wasn't very exciting & was too oft undersized for the intended purpose. More recently, you see where some entities are advocating quite high velocities w/light loads on dove(!)and that's using smallish lead shot. I don't find that necessary, being an advocate of larger shot for putting birds in the bag w/minimal damage, admittedly not the most popular view.

It also happens that particular Kent ammunition has a good reputation because it works well on the intended game. Hard to knock success.

Personally, looking at down range ballistics of spheres, I find it makes more sense to take shots within a known killing range at MV's of around 1200fps w/a shot size adequate to insure breaking the bird down when hit. That requires restraint and not taking many shots that others would. Few of us are exacting judges of distance, myself included.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In these days of 1700 FPS steel that's relatively moderate. Whatever they are doing, I do love that SUPER EXPENSIVE Kent TM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since tungsten equals or exceeds the density of lead why not just offer a line of TM shells that replicate the older lead shells used by waterfowlers prior to the ban? Safe to use in older shotguns? With those chamber pressures they're developing? Maybe the shot is. I use them sparing in my 80+ year old Ithaca. I wouldn't have to if they offered those line of shells that duplicate the old lead waterfowl shells.

That's another thing, why the widely differing figures on the density of tungsten compared to the density of lead?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tungsten matrix pressures are not published by Kent on their website, that I can find.
Tom Armbrust has published one pressure measurement on one loading that is right at SAAMI maximum for 12 gauge. This suggests that this ammo is suitable only in guns proofed to modern US standards.

Does anyone have further pressure tests of Kent Tungsten Matrix cartridges?

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The difference in density of "tungsten" loads is that there are differing alloys with differing percentages of tungsten. The higher the density or purity the higher the cost. The highest commercially available density in a shell is 15 g/cc in Federal shells. It is not suitabe for older guns because of its hardness and the pressures in that shell. Winchester's version is about 12-13 g/cc and not suitable for older guns. Pure tungsten is about 19 g/cc. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
Tungsten matrix pressures are not published by Kent on their website, that I can find.
Tom Armbrust has published one pressure measurement on one loading that is right at SAAMI maximum for 12 gauge. This suggests that this ammo is suitable only in guns proofed to modern US standards.

Does anyone have further pressure tests of Kent Tungsten Matrix cartridges?

E-mail Kent and they'll tell you what the chamber pressures are. I did it a few years ago but lost the e-mail.

But even if tungsten that is used in shells that have differing alloys with differing percentages of tungsten is equal to the density of lead you don't need ultra velocity to achieve a clean kill. They killed geese before the ban.

So I don't know exactly what Kent is thinking because they produce a shell that has shot that is 'safe' to shoot in older guns but increase the chamber pressure to a point where no one will shoot Kent's shells in their older guns then you are not really marketing to people who have the older guns. Your marketing to people that have the newer guns which are already steel safe and they could care less about a safe shot to use in the shotguns. They'll say screw it and just buy the cheapest steel loads they can find.

See what I mean? So what is Kent thinking or doing? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing for sure. They are not "shooting for" the low pressure market. It is miniscule in comparison to the waterfowl market overall.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
One thing for sure. They are not "shooting for" the low pressure market. It is miniscule in comparison to the waterfowl market overall.

SRH

I agree totally Stan.

And wouldn't they be pricing themselves out of the market by their own marketing strategy?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What pressures were the 1-3/8, 1-1/2, etc. ounce lead loads running in the '50s and '60s? I seem to remember those loads were up there in pressure as I was reloading. Have any improvements in powder technology yielded lower peak pressures?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.