March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 68 of 73 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
... I know many young guys who consistently killed 8, 10 or more gobblers year during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, and now whine about not hearing or seeing as many. I have no sympathy for them, but plenty of animosity.
JR

You can send those whiners to Maine - the biggest complaint about turkeys in [southern] Maine is that there are so many they are becoming pests. For those whose seasons have already ended or will soon, our season won't open until May 2 and runs until June 4. http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/hunting/wild_turkey.htm

On to the main point of the thread, I can understand the dispute over methods and means. I live by "just because it's legal doesn't mean you have to do it". But, by the same token, if people cannot disagree civilly - or just agree to disagree - over the use (or not) of legal means then there's not much point in having a discussion.

I have no dog in this fight - I'm presently working outside the US and won't be hunting anything this spring and probably not even getting any fishing in.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

We have both urban coyotes and urban turkeys. It's really amazing how small a piece of ground can hold both coyotes and turkeys. I'm no longer surprised to drive through my neighborhood and see turkeys. We also have vultures that migrate through here in the spring and fall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do the coyotes knock the turkey population about very much ?
I would think that nesting hens & then poults because of being on the ground so much, would cop it pretty hard.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Do the coyotes knock the turkey population about very much ?
I would think that nesting hens & then poults because of being on the ground so much, would cop it pretty hard.
O.M

Certainly, coyotes will take adults and poults. In general, however, coyotes have a positive on ground nesting birds simply because they put a lot more hurt to more specialized bird hunters, namely foxes (the worst, per capita), raccoons (the most common), along with skunks, cats, etc etc.

Here in Iowa, a grad student working on turkey hen, nest, and poult survival found a slight positive correlation with coyotes. But much stronger positive correlations have been found for ducks, pheasants, and passerines of various forms.

At a regional scale, the best turkey hunting in Iowa is also the part of the state where there are the most coyotes (the Southern counties), although there are certainly other factors that could also explain that.

One cannot regulate turkey populations by shooting males. Anyone with a whit of understanding of population dynamics would understand that.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thankyou Brent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had this same discussion recently with a friend who is of the same opinion as BrentD, and the grad student. After thinking about it some since we talked, I agree. The turkey population increase and the coyote population explosion occurred here at the same time. They really kill many nest predators that would otherwise destroy an entire laying.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Then we need more coyotes here, Stan. You in Sanford?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not unusual here to see flocks in the hundreds.....And, we have LOTS of Coyotes...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Dollar, where in the Great State are you? Wichita here, but I do quite a bit up around Lindsborg and over by Marion. I would think Kansas was covered in turkeys from my experience.

Here are a couple of images from the Great State of Kansas.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/great-plains-wetland-sunset-pano-david-drew.html

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/southwest-kansas-dawn-two-david-drew.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe I came out of the barn and that big tom was picking around my quail pen.
He was 6 feet away, dragging a beard near to the ground!
He looked at me, and then kinda skulked off like an ol' coon hound that just bred one of my setters.

I had a chuckle, but no real zest to go buy a tag.

I've actually shot Eastern's, Rio's, and Merriam's, but, they just don't fire me up. Dang birds were gobbling, waking me up at 6:30 this morning.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 04/23/16 03:32 PM.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 68 of 73 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.