March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 69 of 73 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have lived in the same house for the last 18 years and I never heard or saw them until about 3 years ago. Fresh tracks in the snow at 8600 ft on Thursday morning right on my fence line. Good to see the population growing around here.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Bertram: They're down here too now. After 24-years in this house, I first started seeing them in the Spring 2-years ago (not far from here) driving my boy to school. Now my neighbors are seeing them in our development too (& even one in my back yard!). We have plenty of coyotes and yet the birds seem to be expanding their range, which is great as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they'll run off some of my deer?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/23/16 05:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They showed up in Winnipeg in the late 1990's. I mean in central Winnipeg, a city of 700,000 people. Their successful adaptation to Manitoba winters sure shows they can handle cold weather no problem.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Mr. Bertram: They're down here too now. Maybe they'll run off some of my deer?

How I wish that were true! Deer decimate my soybeans, corn, cotton and peanut crops ....... To the point that I have to get depredation permits from the GA DNR to shoot them all summer. They also cause many vehicle accidents near my home costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in insurance claims.

Coyotes eat fawns, ergo, coyotes are my allies.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I dont have a photo of the one I missed Friday a week ago or the gobbler I passed on at 25 yards Tuesday because I couldnt be sure he wasnt a hen or jake that could have been traveling with blabber mouth who I dearly wanted to depart with me on the trip home. It was old blabbermouth but he was screened by too many saplings and leaves to be sure. Until I heard him gobble and leave, drumming. . Instead, here are a few photos of lowcountry things seen in the woods today. At every blackwater creek bridge was a large lizard about 6-7 feet long. Not huge, but enough size to remind me why I dont run my dogs near watercourses during the spring, summer and fall.

75 mm solid egg laid by a Sherman probably WWII and later era.

I think this 75 mm Sherman egg might be fused. If so, I wouldnt want to be around for the hatch:

Another variety. This area must have been an old tank range. Its not off limits or considered an UXO area. The old Vietnam era gunship ranges are another matter. The woods are littered with unexploded rocket grenade heads and are off limits.

On the edge of a drop zone was a field full of flowering pitcher plants, true carnivores of the plant world. A flys Little Shop of Horrors:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting pictures Gil. Especially liked the pitcher plants. The old munitions would scare the fool out of me!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Son John wrapped up his Spring season this afternoon. He began at daylight with this bird and finally got him into range at 1:00 this afternoon.

For those concerned over minimum acceptable beard length this one was 8.5 inches and the spurs indicated a two year old Gobbler. Gun was a regulation 12ga pumpgun with lead 5s; no tungsten shot. No decoys were involved in the kill because John left his decoy in one end the field when he went after this bird at the other end. GA generously allows a three bird season limit and this made number three and was duly reported to the DNR.

We aim to please!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pics, Gil and Geo.

I see y'all got that rain Friday afternoon, too, Geo. The dirt looks like a lot of mine around here. That field looks to have been "broke" (bottom plowed), for peanuts to be planted soon. If so, it will be a prime spot for turkeys next spring. They do love to scratch for peanuts.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any thoughts on the effect that large concentrations of Turkeys have on Quail that are trying to live on the same property?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Nice pics, Gil and Geo.

I see y'all got that rain Friday afternoon, too, Geo. The dirt looks like a lot of mine around here. That field looks to have been "broke" (bottom plowed), for peanuts to be planted soon. If so, it will be a prime spot for turkeys next spring. SRH

Good eye Stan. Farmer's eye...Geo

Page 69 of 73 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.