April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, Momslefever), 440 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#445883 06/03/16 06:45 PM
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My son will be spending a couple of months this summer, this fall and again next summer in panhandle Alaska, often on islands doing a study on isolation and tribal dynamics or something like that (it's anthropology). I don't want him up there with only bear spray. I thought to get him a Remington 870 pump with a slug barrel. But the Stoeger 12a coach gun is even shorter and lighter. I don't think in the event of a bear attack he'd get off more than two rounds anyway. One barrel with 00, one with a slug should do the trick and you can still shoot birds with 8 shot.

There are a lot of videos about the gun on line including ways to clean it up, take off the burrs. It's apparently quite popular for "cowboy shoots" or something like that. I was thinking of the nickel finish just because of the enormous amounts of rain that falls in that area..and chambered for 3" (though he'd shoot 2 3/4), double-trigger. This guns weighs 6.5 lbs. He'd need a sling. Anyone have experience with this gun? I looks like it kicks like an M-1 Garand.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/03/16 06:57 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Given its intended use I don't think recoil will be an issue if it is ever (Lord forbid) needed.
That also goes for 3" shells, if it was keeping me from seeing the inside of a bear I would use the most powerful cartridge it can handle.

CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd go with the 870 with the 20" cyl. bore barrel- no sights-and buckshot all the way, no slugs. Also, my retired neighbor, from the MSP- uses this same weapon yet today, and his has 3" chambers, but he told me that the MSP (Michigan State Police) armorers did a test with 3" slug loads over 2.75" slug loads, and found more feeding problems with the 3" and none with the 2.75" loads- "front heavy- makes them "tip" a bit at times. I am not sure if this caveat applies to 00 loads or not--You can also read, if you like, Hemingway's last posthumously publish novel- True At First Light and see how he used his full choked 12 gauge Model 12 with No. 8 birdshot loads to dispatch a wounded "Chui" in a mangrove tangle in Africa-- One advantage the Model 12 has, at least the pre-1970 remaked "Y" series which changed the trigger mechanism- you can "slam-fire" an older Model 12, not sure about the Rem 870- But I'd sure as shootin' want more than 2 shots from a non-ejector double gun in a SHTF scenario with a bear-CQC style--The 870 pumpgun is foolproof-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

This gun has been out there from 1980s so I'm sure most work well. The 20" 20ga I had in early 90s fired left barrel only about half the time after trigger was pulled so if you pick this brand make sure it works. On the upside the gun shot Foster slugs real well. I would pick 12ga and bunch of Federal Premium Truball Penetrators to practice a lot with. These slugs have copper jacket and with avg. Vo of 1350fps the recoil is acceptable. Another upside is no stubborn lead deposits which have to be removed by soaking with stinky Hoppes lead remover overnight when plain lead slugs are used.

PS. Brenneke Black Magic Magnum is often recommended for bear protection though it will kick hard and truth be told I'm not really convinced it is better choice than Truball Penetrator.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44

It looks like it kicks like an M-1 Garand.

"recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant", the Maharajah of Cooch Behar

Sidelock
Sidelock

"IF" the recoil is no worse than an M-1 Garand there is no concern. At about 10 lbs & the gas operation an M-1 is a pussy-cat. The first CF rifle I ever shot was an M-1. I had been told it would "Kick" about like a 12ga shotgun. Was regularly shooting a 12ga at the time so had no real worry. I was however amazed at how much less it kicked than a normal 12ga.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

My good friend Tripp used to be a cameraman for the "Trophy Quest" television show. He was in Alaska, filming, and met an old Alaskan. The native asked him "You don't have a gun, son?". Tripp replied "Nossir, I'm a cameraman ..... I'll be careful." Old timer replied "Son, you need a gun, this is grizzly country", and handed Tripp an alloy framed .44 Magnum revolver. He said " Here, keep this until you leave". Tripp hefted it and said "I'll bet it kicks like the devil". Old man replied "Son, when you've got it in a grizzly's mouth you won't even notice it".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Put a couple of hundred rounds thru it to verify reliability and if it passes the test get a good case and cleaning kit, and he will be good to go. However if it gets soaked, it will be a PITA to clean and lube.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
However if it gets soaked, it will be a PITA to clean and lube.

Stainless steel. Do they make it in SS ?
Just get the WD40 running out of it.
O.M

DLA Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington 870 Special Purpose Marine model. 18" cylinder bore, synthetic stocks, stainless, sling swivels. Loaded with buckshot.

Dennis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.