May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Marks_21, Jason Dubois, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 290 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,156
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to resell it I am sure five or more people here would be happy to buy it. While not the holy grail you did find a very nice gun. People who say a 6 1/2 pound 20 is too heavy never shot one very much in a hot dove field. That gun should swing well and handle decent loads with zero problems. I hope it does not end up upgraded into a high grade gun down the road. I've seen several 16 and 20 high grade Lefevers which I am sure have been upgraded. There are just so few of them in the first place the temptation is too great. Worse Lefever guns are so varied you can't predict normal from odd from fraud.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a great buy so far. Congratulations.

Your statement "top lever right but action a bit loose" suggests that the top bolt which engages the dolls head is not worn, but the compensating screw in the front of the action knuckle may need to be turned inward a fraction of a turn. Weak, or even broken top lever springs are common in Lefevers too. If the action is tight when you hold the lever right, it may be a weak spring. I would start with a repeated application of a GOOD penetrating oil on the compensating screw, IF that's the problem, giving it lots of time to get into those threads that haven't been turned for 110 years. Kroil is over-priced junk, IMO. Patience, and a very good screwdriver bit that fits the slot perfectly are needed too. I've soaked 'em for as much a 6 months before getting them to move. Easy to bugger if you slip or break a bit or get impatient. Fortunately, yours will have the screw slot instead of being the older face spanner type.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bill:

Welcome to old Lefevers! My first Damascus gun was old 87030 (a 1901 G-grade 12). I even hand loaded black-powder shells for that one. I have never even seen a non-Durston 20 so....great find. Now......pictures please!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My inclination would be to pack up your new found Lefever and send it off to Buck Hamlin in Pevely MO for a good inspection and correct any problems he may find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will add a comment about the ball screw. After the soak as Keith suggested when you go to move it back it up first. There seems to have been two methods of fitting these screws. One method used a taper thread. The other used a straight thread but the hole was tapped to full depth all the way through the knuckle. Either way the screw is getting pretty tight just prior to coming to it's final position. It will normally back up easier than it will go forward. Then it can be turned back in the needed amount. Turn it in just enough to put the barrels back on face but don't use it to bring the top lever around to the right, this results in an incorrect fit of barrels to breech.
As Lefevers do not have a "Compensating Spring" in the forend many will feel a bit loose when open. This is of absolutely no consequence if they bolt up tight & on face.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
People who say a 6 1/2 pound 20 is too heavy never shot one very much in a hot dove field.

Amen, brother. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

AND! NO Lefever is too heavy or too light to enjoy shooting at anything anywhere....

ithaca1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well here is the real kick in the pants. I was handing the barrels while taking pics and they felt chunky. That's because its a 16ga. It was tagged at the pawn shop as a 20.

Last edited by ithaca1; 06/28/16 07:13 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

HEY! Still nice..at a good price...You are not the first one of us to do that....Enjoy it...

ithaca1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LD,
Kind of embarrassing but I shoot a lot of 16ga so no disappointments.

Last edited by ithaca1; 06/28/16 07:25 PM.

Bill Johnson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.