May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jusanothajoe, buckstix, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 235 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too have used acetone to remove oil from stock heads. Many times i have seen people cleaning shotguns, and squirting oil into the firing pin holes in the breech face, thinking they are doing good in maintaining their shotgun.
Recently i was given a nice old sidelock side by side, the stock head wasn't too bad with oil, a relatively quick soak with acetone did the trick. I have used this method several times and never had a problem with cracks, unless the acetone had caused previously glued splits to reappear.
Some people in this thread have mentioned using oven cleaner, if an oven cleaner contains caustic soda (i am not sure what its called in the usa) it will darken hardwood including walnut markedly.

Last edited by bonny; 07/12/16 10:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used the acetone process on several stocks with god results. However I was in a musical instrument repair shop where they fix and refinish a lot of stringed instruments i.e. violins, cello, stand up bass. They were abhorred that I would soak a fine piece of wood in acetone. They use ozone heat lamps to draw out the oil saying they would not introduce any other substance in case it warped the wood or altered the tone of the instrument. They offered to do one of my gun stocks but I haven't taken them up on it yet.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid, i used an electric heat gun, the type you use to strip paint off wood. I used it on its low setting and as the oil oozed out, i wiped it away with a rag damp with white spirit or thinners.

It certainly worked well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curious ...I can't help but wonder why people over oil their violins when they take them out after birds ,I mean a little will go a long ways ...

Seriously though , nice wood is nice wood ,but wood used in instrument making is not the same wood used in gunstocks nor is the abuse it receives over the years,whether that be from liberal use of oil and solvents or the rainstorm we get caught in while out on the country ....if we hunted in a concert hall I imagine the procedures could overlap ,whether that be the initial finishing and restoration that may follow .

approaching the restoration of a thin and hollow antique musical instrument ,assembled with hide glue I would never consider a harsh chemical ....its day and night really

Sidelock
Sidelock

A gunsmith I trust who's been in business for 40 years working on fine doubles claims the acetone only takes out the first 1/4" or so of oil. He heats the stock with some type [ won't say what type ]of acid laying in the bottom of the closet. The heat and vapors draw out all the oil. He claimed years ago he used acetone but when the job came back after a year and he's redoing it for nothing he found a different method - his current one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Newf

Oil soaked wood is oil soaked wood. What we try to do is remove the oil in the least destructive manner so not to damage the wood structure, not warp the wood and prevent over drying it. How the wood is to be used has little bearing on the process of removing the oil.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=341427&Searchpage=6&Main=29920&Words=wonko%27s+brew&Search=true#Post341427

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Newf

Oil soaked wood is oil soaked wood. What we try to do is remove the oil in the least destructive manner so not to damage the wood structure, not warp the wood and prevent over drying it. How the wood is to be used has little bearing on the process of removing the oil.

I'm betting he knows this as Newf is a professional stock man. He has done several jobs for me (a couple were major jobs) and does excellent work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cleaned up an old muzzle loader a few months ago with an acetone bath.

Soaking in acetone. I use a sheet of tinfoil over the top to seal the bath container. In this case the container is a plastic window box for flowers. For shorter box lock stocks I use an disposable aluminum turkey baking pan.

The stock drying out, sorry I dont have a better photo.

The gun put back together and awaiting some new percussion nipples.

Ive done a bunch of guns this way and Im always happy with the results. However, I am not a perfectionist. Especially when I know that come rain, sleet or snow Ill be taking the gun into the field.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looks great Steve. What else did you do to it? Stain? Linseed oil? True oil?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.