March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, canvasback, SKB, Ted Schefelbein), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems to me that it was most likely the second borrower who was at fault. I would expect anyone to notice if a gun they were borrowing had two bulges before, during or after they shot it. It is a testimony to how strong those barrels were tha even after bulging they did not let go. Perhaps the shooter used to heavy loads at the end. If I borrowed it and did that to it I would be honor bound to buy it. You break it you buy it. Might be different if it were a long repaired stock but both barrels failing at once is operator error not gun defect. Wrong loads were used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would live by the same thought, if I break it I buy it. I wonder if it had a 'mirror bore'. There was a discussion here not long ago. I wonder if the borrower could just say that there was a partial obstruction in one barrel, and then a 'pressure wave' caused the bulge in the other barrel. Sometimes, it doesn't seem to wash.

If the seller loaned it out to two people, and the seller is an expert, then the gun came back to the seller in proper condition after the first loan out came back. But, the seller didn't spot the problem until later.

I know what I would be thinking if I thought I shot the gun in a responsible way, and I got a heated call later. Unless the seller could narrow things down enough to play the fault card, they might possibly consider themselves lucky that it didn't let go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me the gun had the forcing cones lengthened and most likely had the bores honed out and were too thin.
The gun looks redone, so who knows what had been done to it.
Only Barnett would know.

I seriously doubt that someone borrowed it and shot heavy loads out of it. Someone that might have been thinking about this gun and willing to pay the price would know not to shoot 10000 psi loads or higher.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the 2nd guy who borrowed the gun didn't notice that bulge, he'd have to be blind--and he would have called Barnett's attention to it. Seems to me pretty certain that it happened the 2nd time it was loaned out.

I've borrowed guns to try from some dealers at the Great Northern or its UP SxS predecessor. Several years back, I asked Bryan Bilinski if I could try a nice little Sauer 20ga he had on his table. He gave me the OK. Took it to the 5 stand, discovered only one barrel would shoot. Broken firing pin. But it worked out OK for both of us. I took it back to Bryan, told him I liked it . . . but wanted both barrels to work. Turned out he'd just taken it in on trade. Anyhow, we made the deal, Bryan had Del Whitman fix it, and we were both happy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it assumed that everybody at these shoots knows what the hell they are doing? Knows about pressures and damascus?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those certainly look like obstructional bulges. It is noted that when Bell intentionally burst a G grade Parker Damascus barrel by going up in the vicinity of 30K PSI it still burst in the chamber, actually between the chamber & the hole for the extractor leg. For those barrels to have bulged that far down if it was only from a regular shell there had to be an extremely thin weak area there. I believe you could "Bet the Farm" that it was some type of obstructional burst. Highly unusual to happen in both barrels, likely faulty reloads the shooter thought were low pressure. Probably had he shot regular factory "High Pressure" loads it would not have occurred.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
If the 2nd guy who borrowed the gun didn't notice that bulge, he'd have to be blind--and he would have called Barnett's attention to it. Seems to me pretty certain that it happened the 2nd time it was loaned out....

I think this makes two, possibly, unfair assumptions. First, how come the seller can't be held to the same blindness standard. I'd be highly certain that the gun at least got wiped down for smudges and finger prints, as well as the bores, after the first shooter brought it back, and likely after the next borrower. To command the likely asking price, it had to present well on the table. And second, how do we know the bulge wasn't there before the two shooters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree to what Brother Drew posted on the Parker site and also agree to what the last poster said on the site "the gun needs to be inspected.

I edited this to say at the time this gun was made it would have been 2 9/16 chambers and not sure of bores of a Parker but L.C. Smiths up until the late 1930's were changed to 2 3/4" and the early ones would have a chambers 2 3/4" on barrel water table. Bores on early L.C. Smiths were .650 So it would be interesting to see what the bores are on this gun. I still say they were honed and the chambers lengthened.

Last edited by JDW; 08/15/16 01:16 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Been informed both guys were told to be sure and use 2 1/2" shells only.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.