March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The name Infallible stayed long after Hercules took over the double base powders from DuPont. A Lyman loading handbook from 1950 lists Infallible for shotshells & Unique only in pistol, revolver & reduced rifle loads. It has always though been my understanding they were identical powders & the Lyman 55 powder measure charts list the same setting for both for identical weights.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller from Klaus Neuschafers history of Laflin and Rand " Laflin and Rand developed there smokeless shotgun powder in 1898 and named it Infallible. In 1907 DuPont bought out Laflin and Rand and continued making Infallible until 1912 when the US Government caused DuPont to break up it's monopoly on the Powder companies and transferred rights to Infallible to Hercules Powder Company which continued to produce Infallible in canister grade until 1937 and beyond for ammunition manufacturers. At some point Hercules was also producing Infallible and marketing it as Unique.

If you are interested here is a link to the Laflin and Rand history: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/GeneralReference/L&R-Smokeless.pdf

Last edited by TwiceBarrel; 08/18/16 01:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

TwiceBarrel;
Thanks so much for that link, very interesting & informative. I did not know all these dates, but new that powder was sold under the Infallible name long after Dupont bought Laflin & Rand & in fact long after it became a part of Hercules.
Also I have finally learned the actual difference between Infallible & Unique. I had always felt there was some small difference, but didn't know just what. Seems their formulations are identical but Infallible is in the form of little round discs of .065" diam by .006" thick with Unique being the same .065" Diam but .008" thick. This would make the Infallible slightly faster burning due to more exposed surface area. This would also explain why it was better suited for a 3DE-1oz load in 12ga than was Unique. To put up this light load in the older paper case with card & filler wadding required a very heavy pressure be applied, around 100 lbs, to ensure adequate ignition. Bullseye it seems has the exact same composition but is in .038" x .003" disc so much faster burning.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are many low pressure loads with nitro powders. BP will burn through quicker, but they're only good for a couple of reloads anyways so use the BP if you like it better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.