April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Condolences...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Condolences...Geo

Cracked a little smile here Geo.

If it's just about the cost, I doubt the price per pound of trout caught with bamboo would turn out to be much of a bargain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd

If it's just about the cost, I doubt the price per pound of trout caught with bamboo would turn out to be much of a bargain.

I dunno. A cane pole and a can of worms is pretty cheap, and effective. Maybe we've gotten too far from our "barefoot boy with cheek of tan" roots.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh, it's not all about the cost. Nor is it about effectiveness. It's about choices. I don't quite understand why some people want to put a dollar return on a hobby, especially one that costs a lot of money.

I've never, ever had a hobby that was cost effective. Which is why they call them "hobbies" instead of "businesses." If one insists on a cash return, he's going to be disappointed.

At some point, you have to decide (or I have to decide) how far I want to pursue a new hobby (bird dogs) in the December of my life. I'm 71 years old, have never owned a bird dog in my life, and the pleasure of training and watching one find quail I planted isn't (to me) worth the effort...and I'm not counting the money. Like I said, it's hobby money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Genelang,I see your point perfectly. Choices are individual and personal. I've hunted birds and owned bird dogs practically all my life. I started my "last" one 10 years ago and I expected Willy the Wirehair to be the end of the line. She's getting old now and so am I, but I'll probably get another after all...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
. She's getting old now and so am I, but I'll probably get another after all...Geo
Someone here thought I was crazy training a bird dog at my age and that was 4-5 years ago. Wait a minute, it was you. And you were right! It is good to be nuts. smile Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back when Iowa was the #1 pheasant state in the nation (which it was for most of the 90's), a partner and I started a very small guiding business. Wild roosters only, over pointing dogs, private property. The guys we guided--all of whom were from somewhere east of Iowa--remarked on how lucky we were to have such great bird hunting. Over a beer or two one evening, my partner and I decided that it might have been part luck, but also part desire to live in a place where the bird hunting was that good.

Any of you guys in GA ever hunt woodcock? I'd imagine there must be some down that way in the winter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Any of you guys in GA ever hunt woodcock? I'd imagine there must be some down that way in the winter.

Oh Lord. Now you are going to get GLS started. He is the only dedicated WC hunter I know in GA. He will cut his way into cane-breaks I would not allow my worst dog to get into; he even has armour plated vests for the dogs...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did I hear someone say woodcock in Georgia? wink Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get to shoot wild plenty.
It did once cost me $140 to shoot a frozen chicken.
That was a prize at a Christmas shoot at the clay club.
He make quite a good thick gravy.
O.M

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.