May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (canvasback), 892 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my view the key to enjoying the 16GA is a Scaled action. Properly scaled actions are quite rare. Too expensive to produce for the manufacturer. The 16-on-a-12 is a waste in my view. Impossible to enjoy the lithe and nimble handling of a weapon in the ga.

My first and only smoothbore for many years was an 870 in 16 field configuration that belonged to my grandfather. Through the years I have worked up to a Second hand DMB round action in 16. The ga is just a joy to hunt grouse and quail. The quality of workmanship of the arm adds to the enjoyment of the hunt and the ga.

Owen
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3

DMB round action in 16........ The quality of workmanship of the arm adds to the enjoyment of the hunt and the ga.

No kidding! LOL. And my Ferrari makes the trip to the grocery store just a little less boring.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

16 gauge is an anachronism four times removed or a 4th degree anachronism. The owners are anachronisms more or less. We're either fading boomers or soon to be. Most of us hunt, another waning way of life, vilified by many, enjoyed and pursued by fewer per capita than before. Then there is the doublegun aspect. We treasure and use guns many of which haven't been in production for over a century. Among us who treasure the doublegun are the lovers of 16 gauges. The first gun I bought with earned money was a Sweet 16. I no longer have it, but have a half dozen 16 gauge doubles that were made between 110 and 75 years ago and a handful of pumps in 16 gauge between 67 and 53 years old. I never want for ammo as I have flats of shells and components and tools to reload. I prefer 16, but not for turkeys. For turkeys, I use smaller gauges. Are 16 gauges better than other gauges? I won't say that, but I like it better than other gauges for my purposes.
Gil

GLS #454531 08/28/16 09:48 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
16 gauge is an anachronism four times removed or a 4th degree anachronism. The owners are anachronisms more or less. We're either fading boomers or soon to be. Most of us hunt, another waning way of life, vilified by many, enjoyed and pursued by fewer per capita than before. Then there is the doublegun aspect. We treasure and use guns many of which haven't been in production for over a century. Among us who treasure the doublegun are the lovers of 16 gauges. The first gun I bought with earned money was a Sweet 16. I no longer have it, but have a half dozen 16 gauge doubles that were made between 110 and 75 years ago and a handful of pumps in 16 gauge between 67 and 53 years old.
Gil

Gil when you put it like that, it just makes me want to double down on 16's! laugh

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

When that 12 comes back from Chris you can just bring it with you in October, and leave it in my care- out of sight and out of mind. In return for storage and handling (probably more of the latter than the former), I will allow you to be tutored by yours truly in the search, acquisition, and inordinate spending associated with the elusive round action French 16.

Your good friend,
Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mike, I thought that tutelage was already underway. I mean the inordinate spending part.

I was a bit naturally gifted in that area, spending far more per gun than will ever be returned but you have opened my eyes to a whole new way to blow money on my guns.....extra barrels sets and all that goes with that! laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, please god one of your half dozen is 1889 Parker 0 grade. They come up by themselves. Only need to pull the trigger.

I made a mistake providing it to a son for his first hunt. First shot he killed cleanly a crossing black which I gave a pass as too far.

His hunting instincts went down after that, assuming all sports should include reasonable skills. Disappointing to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll take a three barrel 16 gauge to the field this fall. It is by Morian of Paris. The three triggers take a bit of concentration, and a triple on Huns or sharpies is yet in my dreams, but it's fun to try. I think it might be a bit difficult to make a light and useable three barrel shotgun in a larger gauge, but I have seen a few.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 08/28/16 01:13 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, you win. What a cool gun. Weight? Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, it's 7# 6 oz, 27 1/2" tubes, and upper tubes are Damascus with the lower tube being fluid steel. Locks are two sidelock with a trigger plate lock for the lower tube.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.