May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Ian Forrester, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,393
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
That may be your path to remove the chrome. Just backbore it to .410 or larger. I have one gun that is .420. Be sure to use a piloted reamer. A standard carbide chucking reamer of the desired bore diameter can be piloted to your current bore diameter easily by a cutter grinder, and an extension made to drive the reamer.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is exactly what I was thinking Chuck. Still waiting to hear what Mike Orlen thinks about it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty sure Skeet's can ream chrome lined forcing cones. Great craftsmen there.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had 2 guns "honed" at Skeets. Both were full/Mod when they went in. They both came back with effectively no choke in one side and very little in the other barrel. Just my experience.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My apologies, Chuck. Just realized I forgot to thank you for the diagrams and photos of the reamers.

All my best, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you post a link to yours ?A good-or good enough,bore gauge,especially small bore, should be in every gun buyers tool set.

My quick search found these-not small enough for 410

Inside Dial guage

and this one-looks close enough to the other.

AMZN Chinese Gauge

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not a dial gauge, Dave.

Just a set of el-cheapo telescoping gauges that you lock, and then measure with a standard micrometer.

You gotta get them out of the bore to measure.

They work 'most' of the time. A recess choke would be a problem, and possibly require a dial gauge.

I can't justify a dial gauge in 410.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-telescoping-gauge-set-5649.html

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, yours have the advantage of going deeper in the bore then the dial gauge I linked to.

Last edited by Dave K; 08/29/16 10:50 AM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I promised to report back after I got in touch with M. Orlen, and we talked this morning about lengthening the forcing cones on chrome lined barrels. He, at first, didn't understand my concern until I explained my question about whether or not the chrome plating would ever begin to peel after cutting through it in order to lengthen the cones. He explained that when naked steel is chromed it will never peel, if it is cut through or not. He said that car bumpers were not chromed directly to the steel itself, but that there were layers of nickel and copper between the steel and the chrome, thus the peeling you sometimes see with age.

He can't do any .410s for 5 weeks. He has sent his .410 tooling somewhere to be reconditioned, or something, and it won't be back for that long. I told him that would work out great, that I would shoot mine during the early and mid dove seasons and then send it to him to have the cones lengthened. I will also shoot some patterns on paper during that time and send them with the Dickinson, so that he can see what it is doing now, and we can compare the results after the cones are done.

I also questioned him about the .390" bores and he said not to be too concerned about that if the patterns are fairly decent now. The only patterns I have shot with it are on doves, so it will be interesting to see how it looks on paper.

All my best, SRH

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
You need to get this book.

http://www.anglebooks.com/climbing-the-north-face-of-the-410-by-tim-woodhouse.html

The author is a .410 fanatic from England and he's done all kinds of work on ballistics/barrel geometry. It's not very polished, but it is interesting. I'm on the verge of selling everything .410 that I have including reloaders, components, ammo and guns. I already shoot 12, 16, 20 & 28 gauge and the little gun just doesn't entertain me enough. Maybe I should give it another chance.
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.