April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (graybeardtmm3, eeb, jake van dyke), 428 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,198
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
baldrick #454489 08/27/16 07:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Game. set. match.....Ted on a spelling technicality.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

geesh I guess my departed pinecoble setter didn't read that book about not being able to hunt pheasants!molly jo had 8 yrs of pheasants before she also died of cancer,didnt know what a grouse was!i mounted last 2 birds I shot over her 2wks before she died as a memorial to her.RIP molly jo

baldrick #454501 08/27/16 09:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think the notion was one of a dog not being able to hunt some species of bird. I think it was about having someone tell you how a setter should or should not "look", regardless of what species you were hunting, what cover you were hunting, and how hard you went about doing that hunting.
Sorry about the loss of your dog. I hate it when that happens to me, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Best,
Ted

baldrick #454524 08/28/16 07:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, first of all that was my opinion of what a setter should look like. If you looked at the video, that is what I was referring to. All old pictures show the exact same type of setter, like the ones in the video. Some of the setters now were bred to be smaller and to me lost the look of the "older" setters.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Ted, first of all that was my opinion of what a setter should look like. If you looked at the video, that is what I was referring to. All old pictures show the exact same type of setter, like the ones in the video. Some of the setters now were bred to be smaller and to me lost the look of the "older" setters.

David, I don't want to get into a pissing contest about dogs....we all have our favorites for whatever reasons make us happy and I'm good with that.

However, as the owner of 4 Llewellins over the last 20 years, it has always struck me that they look most like the old pics I have seen of setters in the field. And when I say old, I mean 1860 to 1910 kind of old. I always think of my Llewellins as English setters from the 1880's, before kennel club ideas of what they should look like took hold. I have taken comfort in the belief that Llewellins have been bred primarily for behavior, not appearance. I'd be interested in your, and anyone's else's, thoughts on this.

edit to add: I have a number of original prints by Alexander Pope Jr of some of the first Llewellins to make it to North America in the 1880's, including copies of the dogs' pedigrees on the back of the prints. These are dogs that are within 3 generations of Llewellin's foundational dogs. And they are dead ringers for the llewellins I see today.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/28/16 07:53 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beans,
I'll preface this with this thought.

The show ring has been more destructive to our breeds of sporting dogs than anything else in their history.

"Old" isn't mid 1800s when talking setters, David. The breed was recognizable as far back as 1000AD, prior to the use of firearms, the game was usually netted, along with the dogs, in the early descriptions of the hunt.The setters were prized more than the evolving spanials for their lack of tongue during the hunt and the crouch that came to be called a point. The descriptions from the era describe a dog of no more than 30 lbs, lean, and able to make game for long periods of time, over great distances.

I had some of the show stock, in Irish and English setters, David. My gut feeling is any dog over 50lbs is starting to show some of the bad effects of breeding for the ring, and it will a tougher row to hoe for that dog between 5-10 years of age. That is just based on what I have seen, and owned, and is my opinion, as well. My two examples of dogs in that catagory were well over 50lbs, and had the show ring "look", big pooch with heavy feathering. But, that "look" didn't help them much in the task of finding, holding, or retrieving birds, especially as older dogs.
I don't hunt anywhere on the east coast, and the wide, open expanses of the Dakotas, that are my backyard, might be shocking for someone with a lot of time spent in New England and their dog to see. I came to my notions of what works for me in a setter, right here. When I see the big plowhorse style of a dog in that country, I feel a twinge of sympathy for the dog.

Best,
Ted

baldrick #454544 08/28/16 11:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am reading this with great interest, as I am only 19. What I get from this thread is regardless of what breed or line thereof we hunt, the clearest message coming through from everyone is just how much we LOVE OUR DOGS! My family's GSP Dixie Belle is almost 16, blind and deaf with hip dysplasia. We have not hunted her in years. The vet says she is healthy otherwise. My father and mother get up twice a night to take her out so she won't soil and humiliate herself. EVERY NIGHT! I asked my father if he would ever put her down, his answer..."As long as she is not in pain [vet says no] then she will stay with us as long as she has"
Just my opinion.

H

baldrick #454546 08/28/16 11:40 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are 19 and you are hanging around a double gun website? Wow. Impressive. Welcome aboard.
Hope there is a new bird dog in your future, and time and space to put it to use.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting that.

I've owned a few setters out of Ryman's blood. These dogs are what setters are supposed to look like, flat head with knob at back, long flowing feathers on tail and legs. Robust dogs that are great in stature. Once you see one you know where the lineage comes from.

Here is Max I had to have him put down Dec. 23, 2014 at age 8 because of cancer. This is about 2 years before then.

I think about him all the time, he was always with me around the property.

Wow, is that setter beautiful.

baldrick #454548 08/28/16 11:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Obvious difference between Osthaus' setters
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20832819

and Muss-Arnolt's & Blinks'
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18497486

Riab & Danchin
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19972443
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19972443

My best was Kate, from a backyard breeder in KS, who still 'set' and sometimes 'flagged'

and had a thing for yard art

It should be noted that in addition to Llewellin and Laverack setters, there were Llandidloes from Wales (all white), Leatherstone, Southesk, Lovat, Naworth Castle, Seafield and Ossulton lines. Also lines from Sweden and Russia.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.