May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (welder, battle, R Reynolds), 793 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,642
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, some great posts so far. Was able to get out today for some dove hunting, but, it was a bust, nothing, not one! Saw some birds, but not many and none that were in range. Of course the wind didn't help, a bit strong, oh well always tomorrow. Went out with my Number 2 son and my Number 5 daughter. It was great to get out and looking forward to more this season.

Anyway, here's Jim, he was using his 16ga AyA Matador

My daughter Teresa. This will be her first year hunting with a a gun, and I'm looking forward to getting out a lot with her. She was using a 20ga Condor Youth O/U. I have to say that this gun has served the kids well. Never one problem or issue with it, its been a good gun. It was/is my oldest boys first shotgun and he's letting Teresa use it while he's gone.

And of course, when it rains it pours. Got back to the truck and it had a flat, so here's Jim changing it. Never fails!

Hope to post some pics soon of some birds!

Good Luck All!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I heard from some friends, at the dove shoot yesterday, that South Carolina had lowered their dove limit from 15 to 12 for this season. Further, that they did so against the advice of the state biologists who said it should be left at 15. Stinks of politics, to me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, funny how politics enters game management. The allowance of deer baiting in Georgia had nothing to do with game management needs but was a purely legislative movement according to a DNR biologist interviewed on the O'Neill Outside show on WSB.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Fun day
Very windy, did not use any decoys
Shot a limit with under a box of ammo
Winchester Model 42 410 2 1/2 #9s

Now that's just plain braggin'. Nice.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Took Lucy out for about an hour this morning. Only a single flush but we made good on it. I'm starting to bond with this little H. Clark BLE. At 6lbs with 25" bbls it is outside of what I usually shoot but that is turning out to be fine in this case.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the interest. I have been working on African carnivores for 46 years; I bought my first shotgun (Brno ZP49 in Nairobi) when I was teaching myself how to dart hyenas and they kept ending up in dense bush full of other interesting creatures. A shotgun license was easier than a rifle, but I eventually got permits for the other guns.

S&W – the sidearm is a high capacity Paraordnance .45 souped up to take .460 Rowland, which is a .45 that thinks it is a .44 Mag. No pistol is much good for large animals, but I want something right at hand when I am crouching over a lion at night, usually with all her friends and relations right there and my shotgun or rifle propped against the car. It is compensated, so very fast and controllable compared to a big revolver, but I hope never to test it from under a lion.

Stan – all the lion work is directly for conservation. I studied various aspects of spotted hyena biology for 20 years but when I got into conservation I found that no one was interested in hyenas, even though they are the most interesting animal in the world. I switched to lions before everyone else noticed that there had been a serious decline, and have run a series of conservation research projects in Kenya. Before that, no one knew anything about lions outside parks, where they are heavily persecuted for eating livestock, the reason they have been poisoned and speared nearly to extinction in recent decades. We did a great deal of work with both very traditional Masai pastoralists and modern western beef ranchers on managing cattle to protect them from predators, mostly by modifying ancient African livestock management practices. Ranches in Laikipia County are a great conservation success, with healthy populations of herbivores and plenty of predators. These may be the only ranchers anywhere who actually want to maintain large predators among their cattle.

Modern GPS collars yield phenomenal data on movements: we used to fly for hours once a month to get a few data points from VHF collars, but today I can sit at my laptop in California and see last night's movements of the collared animals (one female per pride) and where they were an hour ago. Real time movements can be checked on a website running Google Earth, so ranchers can see where the lions are this morning and direct their herders to avoid that area. GPS collars have taught us a great deal about lion habitat use, particularly in relation to human activities like cattle herding, essential to developing better ways for coexistence between livestock and lions. I am currently working with colleagues doing state of the art biology using GPS collars that also contain an accelerometer. From these they can reconstruct extremely detailed behavioral data and energy consumption (keeping fed and raising cubs is much harder when you are avoiding people and cattle all the time). The real time data show us where the animals settled down last night, and we go out in the morning to find kill remains. Huge fun.

But I have never hunted doves and miss half a dozen ducks for each one I hit. Darting lions is lousy practice for birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for that, LGF. Very interesting.

Darting lions may well be poor practice for birds, but it's got to be an adrenalin rush, especially at night. We hunt wild hogs here at night, with night vision and thermal equipment. I know that little chill that you get when you are slipping up on a big bunch of hogs, and you hear that big boar's mating call behind you. Spine tingling.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My opener was yesterday in a 30 acre sunflower/corn field. I drew a marginal stand, but adjusted and found a spot just off the edge where the birds would leave the field after running the gauntlet. It was sporty shooting at incomers which to me are the easiest shooting. It was the first time in the field with this 90+ year old R-10 which went from a Damn gun to a Darne after a few shots. The state limit is 15, but the field limit is 12 with the group. I managed a limit of birds in just under a box or was it a flat? Well, somewhere between a box and a flat of Polywad 16's, 7/8 oz. of #7.5.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Today
Winchester 1912 in 20 gauge, and 13 stripe forend
2 1/2 inch chamber
Made in 1913

Birds were very thin where we were Mike, and though tempted, we did resist the urge to shoot the dekes. smile

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good restraint smile
Sometimes I feel a lump of birds is odd, so I switch up the pictures a bit, the Superposed 410 picture has a lump of birds,
the Win 1912 20 has decoys, you will notice I set the Win 42 on a box so as not to have it in contact with the concrete and rocks.
Mike

Today
Browning Citori 16 gauge

Last edited by skeettx; 09/05/16 07:44 PM.
Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.