March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it was my gun I wouldn't have a care in the world shooting those loads out of a LC Smith. I would be more worried about the airline screwing it up or outright losing it.

But it ain't my gun.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Runs, this is what Buck shoots out of his L.C. Smith's for turkeys.
http://www.lcsmith.org/albums/hunting/index0.html
Especially look about the 16th one down. Looks lite to me!!!!!!!!!!

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
You can bet your Dixie ass they will- L.C. Smiths, whether R framed or FW, pre-1913 or post 1913 mfg. go with heavy loads that belong in a Model 12 Winchester like STP goes with George Dickel. Ask any good LC Smith gunsmith, like my friend Buck Hamlin, what he thinks- the heavy recoil pad on your Smith may save your shoulder, but not the fragile wood inlettd into the locks and tang areas. Bad idea, Suh!!

Running those kind of loads thru a vintage L C Smith would IMO be equivalent to installing a modern V8 Chevy into a 40 Ford with the original closed driveline. You would be asking for a disaster. The 40 Ford conversion? Ask me how I know this! eek
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup- but two factors enter the picture. Buck is a snipr- "One shot-One kill" the Dixie dude is talking multiple shots for pheasants- also, Buck has glass bedded the stocks on his Smiths and LeFevers in the same manner in which Antonio Stradavari built his fiddles-- Good foto of Buck, by the way.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Runs, this is what Buck shoots out of his L.C. Smith's for turkeys.
http://www.lcsmith.org/albums/hunting/index0.html
Especially look about the 16th one down. Looks lite to me!!!!!!!!!!

29 grains of Blue Dot under 1 5/8 oz of shot is a lite powder charge. Most listed loads with this shot charge in a 3" hull using Blue Dot are around 38-40 grains depending on exact hull, wad, primer etc. Sounds as if Buck may be following the old W Greener axiom, Little Powder, Lot of Lead, Shoots Far, Kills Dead. It certainly doesn't appear though that Buck is Babying his Smiths. Was this gun originally chambered for 3" shells??
I do recall reading an account once of Buck taking an old beat up Hammer Smith, rechambering it for 3˝" shells. He began with maximum loads using Blue Dot & went up from there. He quit when the gun began opening itself with every shot but did not succeed in breaking anything. Most of these old American doubles are pretty Tough old Girls, with the biggest concern usually being the Wood.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck Hamlin’s Lefever destructive testing, courtesy of Tom Archer
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=422672&page=2

Buck Hamlin was given an extremely well-used damascus barrel Lefever with a burst right barrel just past the forend tip. The barrel wall thickness at the rupture point was .010”, and the chamber was 2 5/8”.
With the intent to rupture the left barrel, Buck measured the bore diameter and started his effort with a box of 2 3/4” 1 5/8 oz. short magnums. After 25 shells the left barrel had no change in bore diameter. He then lengthened the chamber to 3”, and following 25 1 7/8 oz. magnums (lead #2 and BB) there was still no change in bore diameter.
Buck then lengthened the chamber to 3 1/2” and used 3 1/2” 2 1/4 oz. lead turkey loads. The left barrel blew after only a few shots. The wall thickness at the rupture point, which was almost aligned with the bursting point of the right side tube, also measured .010”.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A steady diet, no. But, for that hunt, I'd take the Smith. Or have RST ship the loads. Like I said I would be more worried about the airlines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please don't think those Smith stocks aren't fragile. I have a 1928 vintage 16 gauge Featherweight that split the stock at the head while sitting in my gun cabinet. I now shoot Foxes, Lefevers and Model 12s for the heavy work.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Why don't you just drive yourself, save the airline headaches, and use whatever ammunition you bring with you?
I'd be willing to bet you $50 an LC Smith wouldn't survive the airline handling.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The tensile strength of the barrels is irrelevant in this discussion. We should be concerned with the ability of what is probably pushing a 100 year old stock to absorb recoil. My vote is to err on the conservative side by a wide margin.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.