March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (FlyChamps, ksauers1, Ken Nelson, Lloyd3, 3 invisible), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to occasionally hunt birds with a VERY LIBERAL fellow. His position was that a person should be allowed to own ONLY one shotgun and one rifle for hunting, but no handguns. Eventually we parted ways.

gold40

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall. back in the 50s, when one could buy, via mail, a WWII 20mm anti-tank rifle, plus ammo, without a problem. One also could "open carry" without a problem.

Much less gun violence back then.

As Robert Heinlein observed: "An armed society is a polite society."

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
gold40 #456961 09/21/16 11:13 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40

I used to occasionally hunt birds with a VERY LIBERAL fellow. His position was that a person should be allowed to own ONLY one shotgun and one rifle for hunting, but no handguns. Eventually we parted ways.

gold40

Well that's just completely unworkable. One should be allowed to own at least two rifles for hunting. You don't want to shoot a squirel with a 30-30 nor a deer with a .22.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
nca225 #456963 09/21/16 11:26 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
Originally Posted By: gold40

gold40

Well that's just completely unworkable. One should be allowed to own at least two rifles for hunting. You don't want to shoot a squirel with a 30-30 nor a deer with a .22.

Chris,
That presumes anyone who is making the law has any of your interests at heart when they write it. That is seldom the case, since, the law isn't about you, it is about controlling you, which, is a near orgasmic thrill for some people out there.
The laws about one gun have already been put on the books in some places in Europe (you never wondered about why a drilling exists, Chris? It is only practical for someone who has been told he can only use and own a single gun) and if the left could, they would do it here as well. Regardless of how it works out for you and me in actual use.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Ted, that is true for legislation of any nature. My sarcasm of the principle may have been lost in translation. BTW, thanks for your response to my question I posed to you. Granted, I look at it a bit differently, but I appreciate the dialogue nonetheless.

Still waiting for Lloyd though....

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Teddy take hiz marbles and go home...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Chris,
That presumes anyone who is making the law has any of your interests at heart when they write it. That is seldom the case, since, the law isn't about you, it is about controlling you, which, is a near orgasmic thrill for some people out there.

Unfortunately the actual motivation is nothing more than getting re-elected. Generally the most effective way is pandering to that misguided/misinformed/and usually semi-stupid base. People proper mean nothing since that is a malleable mass. Works in a general election as well as we now see with the incredibly stupid Trump base, responding to arm waving and high volume yapping about unrealizable generalities and totally devoid of any realistic connection to the current reality that the rest of the world seems to be experiencing.

The sad truth is that the getting re-elected hinges on nothing more than a pragmatic what works and as soon as it is politically expedient gun owners will finds themselves friendless and alone - and likely gunless. Just recall that not long ago the cons controlled WH and Congress and how much good came in your direction then. The NRA has been nobody's' friend except themselves (new buildings, pay raises, etc) for decades and has done nothing to promote some rational approach to opposing the anti's. But they have managed to promote the nutcase-with-a-gun image in so effective a way that I have to wonder who they really represent.

I may not live to see that but it is well on the way now.

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

L. Brown:
I agree with much of what you said above. But I'll state that my primary reservation is with no "gun owners" are against the 2nd Amendment. This is primarily a double gun hunting forum and the trolls that do post here want the rest of our gun owning rights severely curtailed. The trolls will argue all day that there's no way the 2nd Amendment can be abolished but that isn't necessary to severely curtail our rights. It can easily be crippled by making those rights more and more restrictive until many give up as it's just too difficult to acquire a firearm. I believe you can actually get a pistol permit in NYC if you want to expend a couple of years of your time and spend hundreds of dollars to do so. Ditto for Washington DC.
The Supreme Court with 8 members currently would in all likelihood split 4 - 4 on the individual right to keep and bear arms were it to come up today. If A gun grabber like Clinton is elected you can be sure the 9th appointment would join the other 4 in overturning the ruling on this right.
So is it important that everyone stay as current as possible insofar as what's going on in this area? I firmly believe this is the case and that's why I post firearms related information some of which in NOT in the regular news.
I've never cared to win any kind of "popularity contest" on this forum and will continue to post information that I think the membership here want's to know even if some of the more "astute" members like Hause are so knowledgeable they have no need for it.
If he or his cabal of toadies don't like what I post on this subject then don't read it. It's as simple as that.
Jim

Last edited by James M; 09/21/16 12:49 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

nca225: It sounds like I was unaware of some of the later dialog in that post, because it had been scrubbed when I logged on yesterday. As to your question....in retrospect, I'm sorry I made that post. Yet another angry old white guy moment, I fear.

L. Brown #456991 09/21/16 01:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
....Some people take "support the 2A" as a synonym requiring one to support virtually anyone owning virtually any weapon they wish--because when the Constitution was written, private citizens could pretty much own anything the military had....

As far as I can tell, this take on gun control hasn't come up. Generally, the squabbles tend to come up when when someone claims they are one thing, but discuss, support, and interact in the opposite way. I think, if all we had to do is keep nukes out of civilian hands, there is still a fair amount of evidence that ideological lines have been drawn by left wing leaders to restrict side by side barreled shotguns among other types of civilian firearms.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.