March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well I found one I couldn't resist. I picked up a little Stevens 20ga model 345. Its old and worn but man what a cool little gun. Weighs right under 6lbs and fits like a glove! I'll get pics up as Woodcock season starts this weekend. It'll need a little work but it can wait till after the timberdoodles have left, any recommendations for middle of the range smith that blues barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking forward to the pictures. Don't believe I've ever seen one in the flesh. Be interesting to see how it is chambered. At the same time frame they introduced the No. 345 double the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. were making their No. 200 pump for 20-gauge shells up to 3-inch --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
Well I found one I couldn't resist. I picked up a little Stevens 20ga model 345. Its old and worn but man what a cool little gun. Weighs right under 6lbs and fits like a glove! I'll get pics up as Woodcock season starts this weekend. It'll need a little work but it can wait till after the timberdoodles have left, any recommendations for middle of the range smith that blues barrels?

What would help is where do you live?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whenever I get a new gun like the one you've gotten I'll fix it up as inexpensively as possible (just enough so it's not an eye sore) and use it for awhile before I decide to keep it or not. With that thought in mind, you may want to simply cold blue the barrels and use it as is this season. If you find you really like it then spend the money to have it rust blued.

As far as cold bluing the barrels, I simply remove any patches of surface rust, degrease with automotive brake cleaner spray and then cold blue right over the old blue. Usually 2-3 repeats with cold blue will get it looking pretty nice.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm up here in Downeast Maine, I don't mind shipping but wanna make sure it goes to the right guy. luckily there is no major rust or pitting, but the tubes are starting to brown and there are a few field scratches, I know it's not an expensive gun but how many 345's do you see, it's got some pretty cool features for a Stevens, chopper lump barrels, bearings on the cocking rods which is a really neat feature and two beads on the ribs. I feel if the gun has made it this far in life, might as well extend it even further!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometime doing nothing to a gun is the right answer. Fix what is needed to make it safe and functional but not to restore it. The plus is that you can use it without worry because it has that well worn look already. Guns have character from all their bumps and bruises. I have a couple very well worn guns that I just keep as they came to me. A hundred years of wear is sometimes a sign of good service and respect.

My late uncle had a .410 Creacent double he used for decades. Even after he could well afford any gun he wanted he used that gun most of the time. So when it came to me I decided if it was good enough for him this way I'd keep it the same to remember him as he was. A good, hard working man who never complained about his life or troubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had looked at the No. 345 pages in J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. General Catalog No. 54 where the No. 345 was introduced and it didn't state chamber length. The later pocket catalogs of both J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. and then J. Stevens Arms Co. state the No. 345 is "chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells" --

as most 20-gauge guns of that era were.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

yeah mine is 2 1/2 inches not sure what year it was made, it does have a serial number on the water table, barrels and forearm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cool Gun! What's the barrel length?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

28 inches mod and full

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.