April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Jem Finch, Drew Hause), 1,133 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, I know this is a bit OT, but there is an O/U in here. I ran across this one, vintage and fun to watch. A bit corney in some spots, but classic. It does bring back some memories for the "Good Old Days"

Best,

Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0O2LCnCRyM

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg I enjoyed video,V8 International truck and I saw a Lincoln with suicide doors. Bobby

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting to compare the amount of weeds in the cornfields to today's cornfields.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup!! Clean farming and weed control has done away with that!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting on the thoughtful and important land-management undertones; not to mention the music. Memories are Made of That

Thanks for the link to the past

Berrien

Sidelock
Sidelock

Man, forgot how big the trunk was on a '63 Continental. Also in days gone by all the guns coming off aircraft.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Granted even today South Dakota is still as desolate as the dark side of the moon, but I noticed the change in landscape, with more trees and tree lines.

Great video.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sure remember those days. It was Kansas, not South Dakota, but other than that not much difference. Thanks for the memories!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never had a 60's pheasant experience but do remember several 30 plus covey days in the same era. My home farm had seven or eight distinct coveys. We kept three for dog training only, i. e. we never killed more than two or three birds a year out of those.

Back then there were many fallow fields, weed fields which almost all had one or more coveys and anyone could hunt them. Fields had weedy margins, ditches had narrow strips of trees and brush. I use to walk out my back door and go from farm to farm, weed field to cut over timber and could hunt for three miles in one direction and almost five in the other. Just a boy, a pointer or setter, my 28 ga. Model 12 and a pocket full of shells. If I got hungry I could eat a few turnips as snacks. Life from many viewpoints was as good as it could get and we never knew it at the time.

A few years later we started clearing all the ditches of trees, weeds and brush. Edge cover was gone forever. Weeds were for the most part killed by spraying herbicides. Crops went from truck farming, mixed grains, pasture, fallow fields for soil bank. All were planted and entire farm went in corn or beans. You could look a mile in any direction and not see one speck of cover. No wonder quail numbers collapsed. Mono farming was short term profitable but long term devestating to game. And like many farmers at the time we thought we had to do it. Now I've spent 20 years reversing what we did in five years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really important:

"but I noticed the change in landscape, with more trees and tree lines."

We need to find a path back to tree lines

Best

Berrien

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.