I was in the USMC-- boot camp MCRD San Diego in October-Nov 1960- so missed that hunt in SD. One of my fellow boots was from Aberdeen SD- also a pheasant hunter. Here's what I saw--(1) Great older vehicles, planes, men wore suits, hotels had bellhops and allowed dogs- but: No-- Hard gun cases- No Blaze Orange- and men in the truck bed with uncased guns-, albeit they were muzzles skyward-- also- allowing the youngster to run after the crippled bird with a loaded gun in hand- let the dogs find the bird, if possible- or else count it into the day's bag total--But the music and narration- right out of Ozzie and Harriet- did enjoy the quote from Duke Ellington 1931- "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" true for shotgun leads on a moving target, and pheasants can move--

Or as my duck hunting mentor Woody Woodhurst taught me- "If you want your bird to drop stone cold dead, don't shoot him in the ass, shoot him in the head"! The long tailfeathers of a Rooster can sure cause shooting behind, especially on crossers. Today here in Central MI- pheasants are but a fond memory- sad to say..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..