April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (vern21), 1,031 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#458288 10/05/16 07:54 AM
Dickie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

First of all, thank you for letting me join this forum.Hoping someone might be able to help. I have restocked about a dozen rifles in the past 20 years or so for myself and other family members. this is my first Mannlicher stock.
I do not want to put the traditional metal Schnabel piece on this….instead I want to have a nice Ebony forend tip. Question is, I’m looking for some way of holding the stock to the barrel, and not be obvious about it…….I thought about soldering a nut to the bottom of the barrel and screwing the swivel into the nut, but I’m worried about barrel harmonics by doing this……….would any of you have any suggestions for this old man?...........very much so appreciate any help or suggestions on this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally think a sling swivel at or near the end of the barrel/forearm would look strange? It certainly wouldn't be my choice of locations. I think you might consider taking a tip from thee old muzzleloader stock makers and use wedges to hold the forearm to the barrel. You don't need an attachment point at the very end, but you can add two points spaced back, with one about 4"-6" back from the end.
I have a Husqvarna type 33 sporting rifle that uses these little wedges, and they look great. My Husky has a cleaning rod under the barrel, but you could omit that. I think the little wedges and decorative plates look pretty classy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dickie,
Traditional Mannlicher front sling loops are screwed through a lug fastened to the barrel. Both the lug and screw have to be relieved in such a manner that they won't restrict barrel expansion as it heats up. This very often causes problems with acceptable shot groups, and has to be reworked. I suggest you use the two part forearm, where the joint is made on an angle, with the rear part supporting the front. The sling loop will provide some support( up and down)subject to the above. Finally, you would need a screw at the tip. This screw will be visible, but can be made barely so by backing it up with a washer in the countersink, rather than an escutcheon. Metal tips were traditional, but not always used. Some times other materials, such as antler bases were used; it's a matter of taste.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Mauser commercial sporters, made until the end of World War II, simply used a barrel band sling swivel to secure the front of a Mannlicher stock, as illustrated by the Type S carbine.

The Type S had no metal tip on the fore end.

Dickie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Vall..... the plan was to put the sling swivel in the traditional spot on the forend...not out near the end. The wedges are a good idea, but I'm trying to keep the forend ...clean (for a lack of better term). Another thought I had, was to inlet the sling swivel base, and use one of the 2 screw holes in the base to secure the stock to the barrel, and the other would be a matching wood screw. This would give me the swivel bases that I like to use, and would disguise the stock mounting screw.
Thoughts??? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe a simple dovetail in the bottom of the barrel, and a single screw into a threaded base. Similar to the way a Marlin lever action has to retain the end of the mag tube?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dickie,
What do you mean by "traditional spot on the forearm"? Do you mean traditional for a "Mannlicher" or traditional for an American bolt action? It's your rifle, just do whatever you want. We will try to help you with problems you have later.
Mike

Dickie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mike...Traditional for an American bolt gun. I am only "assuming" the forward swivel base would be the same on a full stock rifle that it is on standard stocks.....or is it mounted further foward?......sometimes I tend to think too much into simple things.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Traditional for American bolt guns is much farther back than what many full length stocked European guns were. And most standard American half stocks use a location near the end of the forearm. I think for balance with the extra forward weight, many full stock guns use a farther forward sling mount than a half stocked gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dickie
What Vall said, plus front sling swivels on bolt guns were often in front of the forearm, mounted on the barrel. Slings were used for carrying and hardly ever for shooting.
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.