April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#45812 06/27/07 04:40 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

full-length bolt gun airline approved travel case?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hardigg Storm Cases and Pelical military grade gun cases are strong enough to pass major drop and other tests. (Look at the rather neat weaponry they show in their ads.) Bad news is that they weigh a whole lot and aren't anywhere near cheap. Still, given that airline baggage handlers train for the shotput with your liggage and the cost of a hunt, it's probably not a bad deal. Alas, I think you still have to put TSA padlocks in the holes and those aren't very theft resistant. Or, does anyone know a source of strong TSA-coded locks???????

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you go Leo, but I'd go with about 5 padlocks rather than the combo-lock
http://www.travelsmith.com/shopping/sear...eyword=TSA+lock

Last edited by revdocdrew; 06/27/07 05:48 PM.
Drew Hause #45817 06/27/07 05:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the biggest Pelican. It is a great case. Took it to Africa last year. The Hardigg Storm case sounds excellent too.

Get a case that uses one or two TSA approved locks (probably sold seperate). Get the TSA locks no matter how flimsy they look. The locks are generally a joke. The thief is going to steal the entire case and cut it open later. A better lock is useless - AND the TSA will chop it off anyway.

TSA locks can be bought anywhere. Walmart/Target/Your local travel shop.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Drew Hause #45818 06/27/07 05:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had one of these for about 15 years and its been on 4 times that many flights, no gun ever scratched. I would not travel with anything else.

http://www.kalispelcaseline.com/Pg/HuntingCase.asp

CParker #45823 06/27/07 06:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pelican.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Weight is now an issue with the airlines charging you out the ying yang for 1 pound overweight. I have a variety but tend to use the Pelican the most.

Jim

jjwag69 #45840 06/27/07 09:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another strong endorsement for Kalispel. One of my Kalispel cases has literally flown more air miles than most people I know. It was stuck in an airport overseas once and I needed a case to fly to another country for a hunt. I bought another Kalispel just like the first one. You just can't tear them up, and I added up all of the air miles one of my rifles flew without neededing to adjust zero. I can't remember how many it was, but it was staggering.

Whatever you do, be sure you get a 100% aluminum case. Also, don't get a diamond plate case or one that has a lot of sharp edges or is generally hard to handle. If you want to gurantee your bag gets banged around and is the first one to be left off a flight, then get one that will bite every baggage handler that touches it. DIamond plate gun cases were an answer to a non-existant problem, yet they caused problems with their existance.

I am a recovering Road Warrior and will never fly with a case with any plastic structural components. ANd the aluminum used must be thick enough to do the job. FOrget worrying about weight. Almost everyone brings too much crap that does not do much for them. Never sacrifice the gun to have too many extra clothes or some gadget reviewed in a magazine. If it means yo uwind up paying a little extra for baggage, then so be it. You are already paying for hunting, flying, parking, eating, etc. It is just one more cost to be added in.

I have the 2 gun Kalispels and use the extra space to pack all kind of stuff in there. Now that you can fly with your ammo in the gun case, the 2 gun case really helps even more. I have flown with 2 rifles and 4-6 boxes of ammo, and one time a rifle and shotgun with planty of ammo for each all tucked neatly in the case. Plus it had a lot of other stuff such as knives, cleaning stuff, etc. The 2 gun Kalispel is long enough to hold a Model 12 w/30" barrel, so it will handle 2 guns of pretty long length

Last edited by Marc Stokeld; 06/27/07 09:03 PM.

skunk out
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That Kalispel case looks like a winner. There are couple of dealers near me, I'm looking forward to getting one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Brent about all the TSA locks I've used. I had one on a suitcase that TSA opened and then jammed. The hotel engineer opened it with one flick of his leatherman tool. They may be better than nothing, but the measurement falls within the Heisenberg measurement limits fa sure.

Mark, we can now put ammo in the guncase? This is good news. I'm back to Africa in August and I'd rather have my ammo in a hard case than the soft duffle I use for clothing. When did this change?
Thanks,
Leo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.