April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, ClapperZapper, SKB, Jimmy W), 421 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I never use more than 7/8 oz. for quail even when I am using a 20 ga. It worked perfectly even on Gambel's in Arizona, for me. I can see how grouse might need a bit more lead. Never shot one, but it's definitely a bigger bird.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall the 20ga was originally loaded with 3/4oz. It was later upped to 7/8oz & then with the introduction of slower powders the express load of 1 oz. When Winchester re-introduced the 3" 20, but now in the form of a Magnum the load was 1 3/16oz which quickly went to 1Ľoz. According to Jack O'Connor the mod 21 which introduced this Magnum loading of the 3" 20 weighed 7lbs. My thoughts then, as well as now, was if I am going to carry a 7lb gun why should it not be a 12.
My reasoning is similar on the small bores, I have no qualms with anyone using whatever floats their boat, but they are simply not my choices. One thing I will not cede to anyone is that using inferior equipment makes one a better "Sportsman". I enjoy muzzleloader shooting. I have killed both quail & rabbit with an I Hollis 12ga caplock double.
That did not automatically make me a better sportsman than someone else using an 1100 Rem semi auto. Sportsmanship is in ones mind set, not their equipment.
All down through the years I have had both limited time & finances to apply to my desire for hunting. I have always thus desired to make the best possible choice of a gun within my affordability for the game sought. This has primarily fallen with in the 12-20 range & I apologize to no one for my choices. They suit me & my abilities well.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've not noticed a lot of 1oz loads for 28, though likely I'm just not observant. I do recall first seeing them several years ago at a quail plantation in Georgia. The guy using them gave me some crap for using a big gun (my AyA 20ga shooting 7/8 oz.), implying it wasn't sporting. Go figure!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The guy using them gave me some crap for using a big gun (my AyA 20ga shooting 7/8 oz.), implying it wasn't sporting. Go figure!
There seems to be an odd mind set amongst some shooters (specifically driven birds) that I don't get.

A couple of years ago I was picking up on a high bird shoot in Wales. The team of guns prided themselves on using only 20 bores and 28s, it was "more sporting".

On one drive off a biggish hill (Salopian might know it, "The North Pole") two such were flank guns using 28's. I picked twentythree birds of which seventeen were runners; the three dogs had to sweep a lot of difficult cover over some big distances, and so did I. i doubt we found all of them.

The beaters on the hill radio'd down and asked if I was warm enough now and did I know my big yellow dog was three parishes away?

The fact is that these guys were seriously under gunned, and didn't care; it buffed their egos to claim some sort of faux superiority. Sporting my arse.

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 10/11/16 07:30 PM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

1 oz. is a lot to stuff down a .550" hole.

Much like the extra 1/8 oz. in a 1 oz. 20 vs. 7/8's, I'm guessing most of the extra shot goes someplace other than the traditional 30" circle.

Relying on the fringe area of the pattern is poor form.

Indeed, a 1 oz. load is perfect for a 16 gauge. The shot goes where it's useful to the gunner.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot a great deal of 1 oz loads through my custom 28 ga. Arrieta. I sure can notice a difference in the recoil. Most of my normal shootings is the light shot.

I have killed a couple of pheasants with it. (1 oz)

But mostly quail and dove at the 3/4 ounce

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

28 Bores have drifted in and out of my life...My Dad gave me a 28 DHE Pahkuh when I was about 11 or 12 . I still have it..I have had Remingtons, a 28 870 that I couldn't miss with, Several Spanish Doubles, An amazing Cz/Huglu that my daughter stole from me...A Remington skeet gun that killed several million doves, that I got from Robert Stack...BUT I never fell in love with them..At age 81, have settled into a nice light Brit 16 Bore and a Lefever G grade 12...And (don't tell anyone) A CZ semiauto Black plastic steel shootin duck killer

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm learning the 28 yet again (3/4-ounce loads for me please!). Use has to be limited to be effective, but they certainly are effective in the right circumstances.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first Parker I bought in mid 60s was a VHE 28 gauge skeet gun with 26 inch barrels and it was a deadly bird gun for me. Bobby

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.