Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#459379 10/16/16 04:58 PM
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm considering deer hunting this year, mainly because one of my sons has moved back and I'd like to hunt with him. I'd really like to use my Remington 1889 hammer gun. I'm thinking of using the slug below with three dr. of BP loaded into a paper hull and roll crimped. Do I need other components for the load? I am well equipped with roll crimping supplies, I've just never made a slug load.

Regards
Ken

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Thug-Slug-12ga-1oz-25_pk/productinfo/1261228/

Last edited by Ken61; 10/16/16 06:50 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The attached plastic wad on the slug might melt with the use of BP (or a BP Sub) and leave a real mess in the bores.
That's not an uncommon problem when using BP and modern plastic wads and most all plastic shotshell hulls.'

I'd use a plain round ball or a plain foster type slug roll crimped in over plain card and fiber wads. They worked fine before plastic came to be.

I've never found a plastic wad that'd stand up to the heat and not melt and deposit plastic breech to muzzle in the bore., so it's card and fiber wads only for me.

Just my 02.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aree with cutter about the use of plastic with black. I also wondered since those slugs with their attached wads were made for use with smokeless if you would even be able to get a 3 dram charge of black under them & still be able to crimp. Black takes up considerably more space than smokeless.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks,

I've done a search and it looks like the only source for Foster slugs is Ballistics Products, and naturally they're out of stock.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's some on BrokeGunner => http://www.gunbroker.com/item/585901662

I've done business with Ed a few times. Great guy and willing to work with a fellow on size or hardness if needed.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoot4570
Here's some on BrokeGunner => http://www.gunbroker.com/item/585901662

I've done business with Ed a few times. Great guy and willing to work with a fellow on size or hardness if needed.

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to try a round ball I have .610, .690, and .715. Check the muzzle of your gun first. Almost all the old SxS's are choked and you wouldn't want anything bigger than your muzzle or you're going to have a bigger muzzle when done. Like maybe one ripped open. My !873, 82, 89, and 94s are all choked at least mod and most full. If the bores are .729 and full choke would be .030, or .699 at the muzzle. A .690 ball would work fine. I also have some extra wads you could try - OP cards, cushion wads, and OS cards. Let me know if interested - bladesmith46@hotmail.com - you pay the shipping. What ever you decide check the muzzle diameter and don't use any bullet/ball combo with plastic. Even the BP substitutes will melt plastic and after a couple of shots you'll have a mess to clean. Good luck - Paul

Last edited by Paul Harm; 10/17/16 12:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Ken61]I'm considering deer hunting this year, mainly because one of my sons has moved back and I'd like to hunt with him. I'd really like to use my Remington 1889 hammer gun. I'm thinking of using the slug below with three dr. of BP loaded into a paper hull and roll crimped. Do I need other components for the load? I am well equipped with roll crimping supplies, I've just never made a slug load.

Regards
Ken

I don't know about where you live, but here is only game available are: deer, squirrels, Euro-asian dove, turkey, ducks, geese and the Corvidae family for live practice I suggest Ohio made Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer with fixed 24" barrel. You will need Browning Inv. Plus riled tube designed for both rifled and sabot slugs. The best rifled slug for mine is reduced velocity/recoil Fiocchi and best sabot from Winchester. This gun will serve all your needs: small game, big fame and HD. The best pump gun I have ever owned. I would let that Remington hammer gun go. As time goes by suitable ammo will be more and more difficult to find.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jager,

Nah, I have several modern guns, some of which I've hunted deer with. I used to shoot deer with a Lanber Model 85, which threw Brenneke slugs very nicely and had ejectors to boot. It came in handy the last day of the season when we were trying to fill all the party's tags. My sons going to be using that this year. If I don't go the Vintage route I'll use my Grandfather's 20 GA Mossberg bolt action, which is more than adequate here in Eastern Iowa, where the deer are big and the distances are close.

Paul,

Thanks, I should have considered the pumpkin ball route. I'll measure my chokes and send you a PM. According to the pellet count numbers on the tubes, it should be choked Modified and Improved Modified, so hopefully one of your ball sizes will work. I'll stick my dent remover in the muzzles.

Regards
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look under the barrel flats, and if one says "Not for ball" believe it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.