Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
having the chokes changed on a BSA field grade gun is like Dolly Parton having a boob job--having the chokes or chamber length changed on a Boss is like welding arms back on to the Mona Lisa in the Louvre--

You must be watching too much TV. Mona Lisa is a oil painting not a statue. The statue that you were thinking of is this:

Aphrodite of Milos (Greek: Αφροδίτη της Μήλου, Aphroditi tis Milou), better known as the Venus de Milo, is an ancient Greek statue and one of the most famous works of ancient Greek sculpture. ... The statue is named after the Greek island of Milos, where it was discovered.

To the original question. Use the gun and enjoy it. If you want some of the PC post spreader wads I have a very good supply and am grown up enough to share with my friends. They open the choke up fairly well, without the need to alter chokes. If the gun can not be used, for what you want, it just will sit in a safe or closet and get older. It was built to be used and enjoyed. So if you reload you can load up a couple boxes of spreader load and shoot them in the left barrel. They seem to open a choke up about one step, that is full to IM or Mod. You don't get full to cylinder as some think.

I used them a few weeks ago with a Lefever which is choked extra full in both barrels. They worked well but I learned that birds withing 15 yards were best not shot at. Open, is not Skeet more like IM or Mod in this case. Still much better than a dinner plate size pattern at 25 yards with the extra full chokes.

Last edited by KY Jon; 11/03/16 11:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

He was a bit more disjointed than is normal, no?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that changing the choke to match the range you want to shoot is appropriate.

My experience with spreaders is that it is easy to go from Full to cylinder, but not easy to come up with a good reliable 30-35 yard load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Likewise. I'd take it to .015 and use the thing.

Obviously, you want to hire a good guy.

.015 is a 35 yard gun with modern ammo using hard shot and a shotcup. Plated and buffered high density low velocity handloads can even stretch this out if desired.

There are different grades of spreaders you can load too.

1. Hard shot, remove the shotcup.
2. Chilled shot, remove the shotcup.
3. Hard shot, use an X wad.
4. Chilled shot, remove the shotcup, use an X wad.

That way, .015 is almost like having screw chokes and all you need to do is fish in a different pocket for shells.

I color code things with STS green and gold, gun clubs and black beauties. Same hulls, different loads.

Yes, it's a lot of fiddling but this is a hobby and if the load changes don't actually do much you can at least delude yourself. Confidence is half of shooting!

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I visit a gun shop with a large inventory of SxS guns often. You can walk down the row and spot the muzzles of poor open jobs right away. Not concentric, rough finish etc. Want to see how to ruin one look at Midways video on Ytube. Opening a Parker choke with a reamer and tap wrench hand held, chance of it turning out right less than 20 %. Guns poorly opened are not going to sell except to somebody who can't tell good from bad

If the job is done by a competent gunsmith and you are not worried about value, it's your gun. I prefer to buy one that's suitable for my use, not risking bad alteration, not to mention cost of the job and reduced value if re-sold.

Spreaders don't make a Grouse gun out of a Duck Gun, but are viable options for crazy close targets on Sporting Clays ranges. Way back some boxes of Skeet loads included 2 spreader shells for Station 8. Break the target about half of 21 yards, very useful to have a spreader shell in your pocket. If scores are being recorded I always have some spreaders with me. Pratice round don't use them.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 11/03/16 03:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fifty years ago, when I got my 1914-vintage Ansley H. Fox straight grip, A-Grade, 28-inch Krupp barrel, 12-gauge, it was improved modified in both barrels. I had the gunsmiths at Warshal's Sporting Goods, 1st & Madison in Seattle, open that right barrel to improved cylinder. Has been my go to bird gun for fifty seasons and is nicknamed Meat in the Pot --

December 2014 --

I have certainly never missed that extra choke in the right barrel.

The BSA isn't the "Sultan of Turkey Colt"!!! Make it useful to you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you go with opening the choke, Mike Orlen won't ruin it and he won't take forever to do it...Geo

<michael.orlen@verizon.net>

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, Mike has opened chokes or other barrel work on several of my guns. The longest turnaround time out and back to me has been 8 days. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know the part of the country you're in but if it's west of the big river I'd suggest Dean Harris of Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. He is exclusively barrel work and choke opening is precise and perfect.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
If you go with opening the choke, Mike Orlen won't ruin it and he won't take forever to do it...Geo

<michael.orlen@verizon.net>

I've lost track of how many barrels Mike has done for me. He's definitely who I'd send it to if I decide to do that. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.