March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DaveB, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce, Ian Forrester, SKB), 791 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

'Zapper
I remember reading an article by Ross Seyfried about something similar.Though thought is some kinda abrasive paste on bullets to smooth out bores/rifling...I thought he called it fire lapping?
Is your clapper zapper to do with clapper rails?...do you eat em?
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, Clapper Rails.
I went 50 straight the year of Katrina, on Assateague Island.
Hence the nickname I was bestowed.
They are a waste of shells.

As tablefare, like any shallow, warm, muddy, saltwater marsh dwelling critter, they, ahem, "Taste like the sea".

If you ever get a chance to be polled around near Morristown, NJ, take it. It's very pleasant. Very old timey. Perfect for small bore shooting.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cleveland's Claude Cooper copped the clean copper clappers kept in a closet...

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't shot marsh hens (clapper, sora, king rails) in years. Lots of them on the GA coast. Too old to pole and too scared to run'em up with the motor. I thought they were alright for eating though. About like snipe...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It could have been the post shot care I suppose.
A Soft shelled blue crab sandwich, with remoulade sauce, was my preferred lunch over there. Then grilled scallops, and deep fried crab cakes. And beer. Lots of beer.

You'd find an oyster bar that the tide was swallowing, and you might have 25 of them standing there.

It is about pageantry, and the start of the fall's shooting season.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, do you find that barrel is a bit noisier than the other when you fire it ? wink

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

I normally just run a fuzzy rod down the barrels, a oil soaked patch in the chambers and outside, and put it in the gun room. It's a shotgun, so I don't get too carried away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with you Paul. I do the same but do clean the action and grease it up. No deterioration of the insides of the barrels in ten years. They are kept in a safe with a golden rod.

I have told the story here before but I knew a female skeet champion with walls of trophies and her attitude is why clean the barrels, they just get dirty the next time. I did see some of her guns including a Krieghoff and a bunch of her 1100's from her earlier years and the barrels were fine after many years. i did not ask her if she cleaned the actions. Sorry I did not.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

There's big difference between what you can get by with, as far as cleaning barrels goes, with vintage guns and with chrome lined modern made double guns. I pay more attention to the bores of my oldies than I do my modern-made chrome-lined ones. And no, I have no problem paying closer attention to one than I do the other. Some kids just need a little extra attention.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Builder, I do take the barrels off occasional and clean and oil the breech and wrist pins. My wife has a ported barrel O/U that seems to collect plastic, but not so my old SxS's without choke tubes.

Last edited by Paul Harm; 11/06/16 09:11 AM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.