Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gold40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From early November to mid-January, the Illinois Dept. of Conservation offers public pheasant hunting in about a dozen state parks. Cost is $35 to shoot two birds of either sex. There is an on-line reservation system, but usually one can just show up by 8 a.m. (except for holidays). They put out 50 to 200 adult good-sized birds every day, except Monday and Tuesday (closed those days). Non-toxic shot is required, maximum size #3. A dog is most helpful.

It is a good program, and surprising for what some consider to be an ant-gun state.

I hunt the Carlyle Lake locale, since it is near St. Louis. Typically hunt at least a dozen days. Gives my dog a lot of extra field time.

gold40

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do that several days a year also. Usually at Jim Edgar Panther Creek, in the Virginia, IL area. I've never made a reservation. Always just show up and draw and have never had a problem.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40

It is a good program, and surprising for what some consider to be an ant-gun state.

I hunt the Carlyle Lake locale, since it is near St. Louis. Typically hunt at least a dozen days. Gives my dog a lot of extra field time.

gold40

Good for you. It is designed to allow anyone in Illinois at least some time in the field with a reasonable chance of success. It is a way for the guy with a young family on a small budget to have some fun.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I moved to Texas in 2007 I really missed the Illinois state run pheasant hunting program. Back then I believe it was $18 for three birds, but $35 for two birds is still an incredible deal compared to what it cost to hunt pheasants in Texas game preserves. Ive spent the last few weeks visiting friends in Illinois and I also purchased a new hunting dog three weeks ago. Ive been having a fun time hunting him at the nearby Illinois State pheasant hunting facility.

Meet Kelakye's Cowboy Back n Town aka Trace my new furry hunting partner.

Here Trace is again with his very first pheasant. He found it hiding 15 up in a pine tree. Good dog!

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 11/08/16 09:48 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

You look warmer than you did at my place...Chuckh on the left

gold40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We hunted pheasants this morning at the local Illinois State Park. It was the "first day" of the 2016 season. Only a dozen or so hunters; mostly retired FOWG's like me (Fat Old White Guys). I think they put out about 60 birds.

A bright sunny day, with temperature in the 50's. About ideal. Our three pointing dogs worked well, including the 10 month old pup. My hunting partner and I each limited with two roosters in less than hour. Then off to lunch at Mickey D's.

Some days it is much more difficult...

gold40

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sadly, I remember when it scarcely took longer than that to bag a limit of wild bobwhiites in St. Francois county. We'll not see those days again. Enjoy, Jerry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As much as I disliked Illinois for political reasons I could never fault the hunting. I got a nice buck every year hunting down along the Illinois River. I lived in a town called Elburn and I shot my limit in Pheasants(2 per day) in my back yard opening day one year.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just returned from hunting at Silver Springs Fish and Wildlife Area with my friend Charlie. It was nice having Charlie along for two reasons. Hes my good friend and unlike me Charlie seldom ever misses, if it flys it dies! My novice flushing dog Trace put up 5 birds. Charlie got 2 (good Charlie!), I shot at and missed one (bad Steve!), and 2 were flushed way out of range (bad dog!). All in all it was a nice day hunting at Silver Springs. Other than my friends here, hunting Illinois pheasants is something Ill miss when I return to Arizona.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

"If it flies, it dies" Flys are for whacking on the kitchen countertop with a swatter from Ace Hardware.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.