April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Vol423, fab500), 363 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Ted . . . a lot more Darnes were made than just ONE model Webley & Scott. And those Scotts had an American importer for most of the period following the 1954 proof laws. So certainly the ones coming to this country would have had 2 3/4" chambers. Earlier ones (but they didn't appear until a couple years after the war) did have 2 1/2" chambers. Problems? Never had one with a 700 series gun. They're pretty reliable . . . although, as you've noted, they don't have disc-set strikers. My Model 400 does.

And I'm pretty sure you're mistaken on Boothroyd and the proofmarks. Those are standard proofs under the law of 1925. I've never read anyone who said BSA was out of the gun business prior to 1925.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This has been a very insightful thread... what about the reverse? What about adding choke to a high grade gun that was cut down? As its already been molested, would it have the same affects suggested above? Just throwing the idea out there

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Well Ted . . . a lot more Darnes were made than just ONE model Webley & Scott. And those Scotts had an American importer for most of the period following the 1954 proof laws. So certainly the ones coming to this country would have had 2 3/4" chambers. Earlier ones (but they didn't appear until a couple years after the war) did have 2 1/2" chambers. Problems? Never had one with a 700 series gun. They're pretty reliable . . . although, as you've noted, they don't have disc-set strikers. My Model 400 does.

And I'm pretty sure you're mistaken on Boothroyd and the proofmarks. Those are standard proofs under the law of 1925. I've never read anyone who said BSA was out of the gun business prior to 1925.

Larry,
The OP posted the quote on Boothroyd, I simply repeated it. I read Boothroyd when I was in high school, I think. I don't own the book.

I've seen two 700s with the problem you alluded to. It takes them out of the game for a while. I'm a fan of disc set strikers on boxlocks.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boothroyd on BSA production dates, in "Sidelocks and Boxlocks": "I would say its production ceased around 1939 . . . " Looks like they first appeared in 1922. Which would seem to mean lots more of them proofed under the 1925 rules (proofmarks like those shown in the photos) than the earlier rules.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
Darne had importers to the US from 1952 until the original company went bust in 1979. The numbers imported were small in the 50s, but, probably on par with the numbers of 700s during the same era.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I expect that could be true, Ted. And something else that's true of both Darne and Webley & Scott: During the period Darnes and W&S 700 series guns were being imported, they didn't have much competition--in terms of numbers of guns imported--from any other maker in their respective countries. Manufrance doubles were imported for awhile, but they never really caught on in this country.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
That gun is worth quite a lot more than the "$900-$1500" that you mentioned in a previous post. With that engraving and condition, along with its quality and nice configuration, I would venture it to be more like a $3000/$3500 gun any day. Hell, Steve Barnett would put $4500 on it, and Kevin's would put it at $6500.
JR

FWIW, there's a very similar gun, albeit with single trigger, that has been listed repeatedly on Gunbroker with little apparent interest. Buy it now is $1,860.

Honestly, the seller does not identify it as a English gun and I assumed it was a Spanish or Turkish copy. Comparing it to my gun, I no longer think that. It appears to be the same gun as mine.

Go to Gunbroker and search for " BSA SXS 12, ejectors, Miller Trigger, 6.6 pounds " if you want to see it. Frankly, the seller's minimal description and not-very-telling photos, along with his optimistic opening bid will probably keep the gun from selling for a long, long, time.

I stand by my view that outside a boutique gun shop that caters specifically to double gun shooters, this gun's market value tops out at around $1,500 (and even that might be optimistic). The gun is WORTH more than that but I doubt it will ever sell for much more. Once you hit $2,000 or more there simply are too many other options that would likely appeal more to buyers.

ETA: I requested more photos from the seller. His is definitely an English BSA and it's gorgeous -- serial number puts it within 20 guns of mine. It has prettier wood than mine, though my engraving is nicer IMO. His gun's condition may not be quite as nice as mine but it's still a fabulous gun. And yet, it remains unsold. Honestly, if he would flesh out the description and include the photos he sent me in his auction listing, I think he'd sell the gun. It's very nice.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/16/16 03:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I clicked on the "P" logo but no photos come up. Sounds like a good gun, but I think bladeswitcher's estimate of the selling price is pretty much on target. BSA takes a big hit in the "brand value" category. That one also has pretty decent weight for a BSA.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I clicked on the "P" logo but no photos come up. Sounds like a good gun, but I think bladeswitcher's estimate of the selling price is pretty much on target. BSA takes a big hit in the "brand value" category. That one also has pretty decent weight for a BSA.

Click on the auction description line.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some seeking a modest English name boxlock might not be interested in a Miller trigger. I wouldn't be.
They might be the same gun, but, your gun hasn't been messed with. I'd pay more for it, if the choice were up to me.

Best,
Ted

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.