April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (eeb, Argo44, graybeardtmm3, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 213 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has accounted for a lot of dead varmints on the farms I lease, and my own. One funny story that happened several years ago comes to mind. My son and I were driving to one of the farms I tend to check on something when a coyote ran out of the neighbor's hay field and was headed towards his cow pasture. He ran across the road and stopped in a harrowed field and looked back at us. My son took the MW WesternField and poked it out the window. I told him to pull the rear trigger as, at the time, I was carrying a load of 00 buck in the left tube. The 'yote was about 50 yards and looking back, standing stock still. When he touched it off you could see those 9 blue whistlers hit the ground in a perfect, though evidently splotchy, pattern all the way around him. He lit out in overdrive, with nary a scratch on him. I quit carrying big buckshot that day in it. They are predictably a poor choice in chokes as tight as that gun has.

I do not shoot coyotes on my land, but was hoping to help out that neighbor with the calf killers. We are overrun with deer which devastate our row crops during the growing season. Deer eat crops ....... coyotes eat deer ....... ergo, coyotes are my ally. Economics makes strange bedfellows.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll kill every coyote I see in range- but years ago, we also went out in the Winter months for fox as well (my namesake, also Rommel's)- we used a Johnny Stewart electronic caller, one of us with a scoped varmint rifle (for the standing shots out of shotgun range) and the other with a 12 gauge pumpgun loaded with heavy Express No. 4's- foxes are like feral cats, which we also kill on sight- but with a bigger tail--not hard to kill in range- but foxes also eat field mice, and the one farm was in Xmas trees- the field mice 'girdle" the bark at the base of the trees, stunting the growth, depriving the land owner of income from the future sale of Xmas trees- so we stopped killing the foxes-nature has her own set of balance scales--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are into that sort of thing, Joe's Sporting Goods in St. Paul, MN, has an Ithaca 12 (NID, I think) that has a set of 32" barrels. No case colors, a ding here and there, original buttplate that shows clear signs of use.
I thought it swung like a post. Feel free.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
If you are into that sort of thing, Joe's Sporting Goods in St. Paul, MN, has an Ithaca 12 (NID, I think) that has a set of 32" barrels. No case colors, a ding here and there, original buttplate that shows clear signs of use.
I thought it swung like a post. Feel free.

Best,
Ted

Sounds like a good fox/coyote gun. Any idea what there asking for it? Any other info?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think they had a price of $650, perhaps a bit optimistic. Bores were clean. It was a dead ringer for Stan's gun, said "Ithaca Arms Co" on the side, pointer on one side, setter on the other, "Smokeless Proof Steel" on the top of one barrel.
It was by no means the Mona Lisa. But, some guys could no doubt dream up a use for it. I'm not even positive what Ithaca it was, but, it was sound as old doubles go.
It was the only double in the place, I doubt they are hard on the price. Joe's is one of the better shops left in the Twin Cities metro area, except they only had about four boxes of 28 gauge ammunition, none that I was interested in.
I know for fact they ship and receive firearms.
Have at it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I rember when I first found this site, back on the old board.
I introduced myself to our old late departed friend Bill Wise, ended up bying a VLD Francotte 20e with 32" vent rib from him...it was their Clay pigeon Gun.
It was my first sxs, and it was in lovely nic, loads of cc, nice wood n all..a really nice gun.
But at 8 1/2 lbs it was too much Gun for me
I had to sell it for something I could shoot.I always regreted having to sell it, it was a beast
Do you remember that one, Eightbore?
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
A "Monkey Wards" double-- made by LeFever-Ithaca perhaps? or Iver Johnson? nice gun for the money-and a dead possum or coon doesn't know or much care what brand of escopeta did him in--

It's a Stevens 330, I'm pretty sure.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always been a firm believer that everyone should use what "They" like, not what someone else says is "Best". With that in mind if I had my Druthers, I'd druther every shotgun I owned had 28" barrels. I am not very tall & well fitted by a "Standard" 14" pull & have always felt a double looked proportionate with a barrel length approximately twice the pull length.
A gun with which I did some of the best shooting of any I ever owned was a low end J P Clabrough 12ga SLNE with 28" barrels both ¼ choke, weight 6lb 14oz . This was all uplands, no ducks. I have not done a large amount of duck hunting, but what I did was with a Lefever fitted with a set of Bohler Steel 26" barrels in Italy. This gun weighs 7½ lbs & is thus muzzle heavier than the 28" Clabrough. I shoot it well enough but the heavier muzzle weight does make it a bit slower for upland work. It is choked ¼-3/4.
I have only ever had one 32" barreled gun, a massive early Lefever side pivot opener in 10ga @ 10lbs. I really have no desire for any more in that length. Other guns I have or have used over the yrs vary from 26:" to 30". I have done some pretty good shooting with all those lengths, but would still be happy if everyone of them were 28".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I briefly owned a Lefever H grade non-ejector 16 gauge with 30" twist barrels, and about 13 3/4" length of pull.
Dynamic, it was not. Sold it to fund motorcycle leathers for at-the-time girlfriend.

Zero regrets. She looked dynamic, in black leather, on the back of my 750GSXR.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had an L.C.Smith specialty grade 12ga with a blown out right barrel for several years. I'm having the blown barrel sleeved presently by A.M. Little to match the 32" left barrel. The left barrel is choked full, but I can have both barrels re-choked to whatever I want.

Any recommendations?...Geo

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.