March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, LeFusil, Ken Nelson, battle, 2 invisible), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
....I hold all my 12's at the forend tip, so any differences in swing speed are due to mass, not mount....

Thanks Rman, and others for the comments.

Interesting CZ, your hand/forearm seems like they're going to put more weight forward than a similar build person that shortens the arm extension back a bit on the forend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All of my 32" guns are wonderful. However, the one that is the most comfortable and instills the most confidence is a pre 1913 L.C. Smith with later ventilated rib barrels. I just feels more lively that any Parker, Fox, or Winchester 21. I guess I should weigh it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is a 3E made in 1905, and re-barreled at Hunter Arms with 32" Nitro steel barrels and ventilated rib- the gun weighs 8 lbs. 2 ounces unloaded. My 1929 Ideal Grade ejector LONGRANGE with 32" flat file cut rib weighs 8 lbs. even. FYI-- I had a "project stocked" 12 A.H. Fox HE 32" many years ago, I never weighed it, but it seemed about as heavy as an M-1 Garand (sans bayonet).

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone has their own taste. For me, light upland guns are the object, and 32 inches are way too long. As a young fellow a Churchill 25 was the ideal.Now 27 or 28 inch length seems right. Fortunately, we each get to choose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure Don could work out the math on what minor MOI changes my style creates between different guns. I'm ahead of the teeter point, and the CG is typically between my hands.
I never feel the mass in my left hand when I shoot.
Craigd, essentially, I put the button of an Anson pushrod right in the crook of my index finger on every one of my SxS's. If no push rod, the forend tip. So, my left arm is well extended.

For the same distance between forend tip and stock butt, it's a very reproducible hold.
I'm not smart enough to move my leading hand back for more barrel speed on a long crosser. I have to just pull/push harder.

And because I shoot a ton, I know what a killing shot typically looks like as soon as I start my mount.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You made me think on it a bit, CZ. I guess for me, my lead arm always has the same bend at the elbow. I guess I try to keep both arms in the same relationship to the shoulders, and push and pull around the midsection. I'm sure you get a ton more shooting in than I do, but I do like that feeling of being in the zone. The body starts tracking the bird as the gun comes up, and things are crystal clear. Wish that feeling would come up more often.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The MW is the most sluggish double I own. The barrels are just extremely heavy walled. It doesn't really hurt anything tho', as it is my truck gun and is used mostly for shooting stationary varmints. That spot used to be held by a L C Smith 10 ga. 32" OO grade, but I got rid of it in a trade for the 16 ga. Smith. Now, it was REALLY slow to get moving!

The Montgomery Ward New Model truck gun. Got it for $255 several years ago and have never spent another penny on it:

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As mentioned before longer barrels work well on the marsh. While they make short husky man look shorter in wildfowling unlike in driven game shooting one is not what they shoot or wear. When one looks at old English fowlers from: Greener, Bland, Tolly, Jeffrey,... 30" (more common) or 32" barrels were the norm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

The MW is the most sluggish double I own. The barrels are just extremely heavy walled. It doesn't really hurt anything tho', as it is my truck gun and is used mostly for shooting stationary varmints. That spot used to be held by a L C Smith 10 ga. 32" OO grade, but I got rid of it in a trade for the 16 ga. Smith. Now, it was REALLY slow to get moving!

The Montgomery Ward New Model truck gun. Got it for $255 several years ago and have never spent another penny on it:

SRH

That is quite a deal you got there. That nicely fitted functional recoil pad is $50+ alone with installation. What is mean by functional is it reduce recoil unlike some mounted on modern Remington pumps which can be described as bumper pads (as hard as plastic butt plate).

Sidelock
Sidelock

A "Monkey Wards" double-- made by LeFever-Ithaca perhaps? or Iver Johnson? nice gun for the money-and a dead possum or coon doesn't know or much care what brand of escopeta did him in--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.