March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#464580 12/06/16 12:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am relatively new to the art of color case hardening and work mostly on LC Smith and other double barrels for my personal use. I have colored 2 of these guns with decent success. I am looking for a more accurate coloring with consistent results than just dumping the receiver from a rectangle crucible similar to brownells pipe crucible. Does anyone have any advice in a crucible design, way the receiver needs to hit quench, shielding, etc. I have seen some pretty good results from some on the forum. Thanks in advance

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reading of oscar gaddys articles in DGJ on the topic would be a good start.

You can try to wade through the posts on this forum on the topic, but well over half the posts you will find are nonsense instigated by one particular member who knows nothing of the process.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you go, 31 pages of discussion and information.

http://marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3732

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. I have looked at Dr. Gaddys articles and know what you mean by the posts on this subject. I am hoping to attain a factory look and know that the way it hits the water is crucial. I have experimented but hate to anneal and recolor more than twice in trying to come up with factory like colors. Hopefully someone will chime in that's figured this out. Any pictures, descriptions, and info is greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For your first trial and error experiments blow air through the water in the quenching tank. Also add various amounts of Potassium Nitrate to the quenching water.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I usually aerate my quench barrel for about 2 hours before quenching the parts and turn it off before I dump the parts. Does anyone use a cage fixture to hold the receiver??? I've never used the Potassium Nitrate. Thanks, Zachary

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe potassium nitrate can help create 'blue' colors, a little seems to go a long way. I'd keep track of how much is used, too much might blacken a part. I would definitely suppose, other folks might get different effects.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: hereford
I am relatively new to the art of color case hardening and work mostly on LC Smith and other double barrels for my personal use. I have colored 2 of these guns with decent success. Thanks in advance

Would love to see some pictures of the results - its something i have never tried.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is one of the ones I've done. Looks fairly decent but doesn't quite look factory. Stock isn't finished in the photo. I am currently building a larger heat treat oven to handle a larger crucible. I am wanting to build a cage to hold the receiver that has built in shielding to hold the coal close to the receiver as it falls into the quench. Thanks for the advice and keep the info coming. Zachary

[url=[URL=http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/zhopkins1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160704_123814_zpsa3tj2ge3.jpg.html][/url]]lc smith[/url]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nicely done. Several questions that you can either not answer or be vague as you choose. What temp. did you go up to, how long did you hold it? What temp. did you quench? What charcoal and what % of wood to bone. I have been told that while you don't want bubbles in the water, some movement is desired. Is you crucible lid on tight? Do you knock or take the lid off or dump it into the water? How much water and at what temp. ? What was the minimum amount of pack between the piece and the crucible wall? Do you re-use the charcoal for any reason? Did the blocking you used to prevent warping parts have better colors than the action? I'm just trying to get a system that is repeatable. any input you chose to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.