May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HMAK, liverwort, 1 invisible), 1,039 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,622
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 49 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 48 49
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Llewellyn Setter is 14 and dying of cancer, his hunting days were over long ago. The dog loves me and is always under foot. He has a lot of blood in his urine so I decided to to make the hard choice and put him down. The wife says no way are we killing a dog before Christmas. So since he doesn't appear to be in pain I figure I might as well make his last days good ones. I've been cooking large pork steaks and putting them in his dog food. Suddenly his tail is wagging and he is his old pain in the ass self. A nice Christmas present, even better then a good hunt.

Last edited by pooch; 12/22/16 03:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pooch, make the most of your time with your old dog! Remember together all of the good times over the past 14 years. get outside as long as he's able.

I'm pretty sure a number of good women have loved me in my life. None however have showed that love in their eyes like the looks I've been blessed with from a few of my dogs.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas; anyway...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, quit showing off that Bonehill. I'm getting unkind thoughts and that's not good this close to Christmas. Trying to stay on the "nice" list.

Pooch, sad to hear about your llewellin. Have had to make that decision three times already for my llewellins. Don't relish the next but Scout is 8 so a few years yet. I did the same for my most recent loss, Wind'em. I used strip loins and boy did he perk up! Was great to see and I know making his last few days that much better made the whole thing that much easier on me. It's a small price to pay. Insignificant actually.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks guys! I like dogs also. I've forgotten my gun to bird hunt but still had fun just running the dogs. Ive lost dogs also and I hate it. I particularly hate cancer, cause they don't die a natural dead and have to be put down. Plus it's hard to tell how much they are hurting; too many times I have waited too long to end the suffering.

I think I have a month more with this one. He whines and barks until I let him sleep with me then growls at me for getting over on his side. As long as he stays this ornery I figure he must be feeling OK.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always found it amazing how dogs love us unconditionally. Truely man's best friend!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. You are correct its the Bonehill cheeks, not the woodcock.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pooch, Scout is lying on the carpet right behind me now. I have resolved to have a puppy join her in 2017. Sounds like you should be thinking of a puppy soon as well.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Pooch, Scout is lying on the carpet right behind me now. I have resolved to have a puppy join her in 2017. Sounds like you should be thinking of a puppy soon as well.

I would like a pup but I have a feeling I'm not going to live that much longer.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well this will likely be the last photo I'll post for this year. Have not been able to get out for the last 3 weeks or so. Either snow storms (i.e. blizzards) or sub zero temps. This winter we've been hit hard as some you may know, winter storms every week and lots of snow (we have 31+" now). We are expecting another blizzard tomorrow thru Monday. Looks like we'll be getting another 8-18" of snow, plus very high winds, which means a lot of drifting.

My son and Number 1 hunting partner Will is home for Christmas leave, so we had to get out one last time. Snow was knee to thigh high, very hard walking, saw a lot of birds, but wild. Most of them were feeding up prior to this mess we're in for. The mission today was to get Will a bird or two, with me as back up. He was able to connect with a nice rooster and a nice late season grouse (which is hard to do!). So the day was a success for both Will and me. Just happy that he was able to get these birds.

It's been a very good year for me, better than last year and could have been a great year if not for the weather, still no complaints, no one got hurt, got lots of birds and had a good time when we got out. Thank you Lord and St Hubert for another season here in the great state of North Dakota!!

Will and Raina. Will used his Fabarm 12ga

Best to all and keep those pics coming!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Boxlock
Boxlock

Greg, congratulations on a season ending hunt with your son! Always enjoy your pics and drool over your beautiful guns!

Stay warm and winter well!

Matt

Last edited by CitoriFeather16; 12/25/16 01:02 PM.
Page 34 of 49 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.