Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know this thread is a bit old, but I had to mention that I am also a great fan of these guns, especially the Berettas. I love the svelte prince-of-wales grips on most of these guns. I do not believe mine is a Companion or 412 but a Vittoria model. Either way, it has very nice wood and with a leather sling it is great for hiking up mountains in the west or on long stretches of walking between eastern grouse and woodcock coverts. It's a keeper even if it is in 12 gauge. I've been hunting for one of the older models in 20 or 16 gauge with nice wood for a while, but not a lot of luck. Here's mine...

I also have one of the Yildiz guns in .410 ONLY because of how cheap it was. Sadly (and as expected) it is not in the same league as the Beretta.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I might add that Cabela's currently has one in the Gun Library in 28 gauge. Choked improved cylinder, 5 lbs, 27.5" barrel. Unfortunately, I feel that their $729 price tag is out of line.

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's a nice looking gun. They are solidly built compared with the Yildiz, but as you note, the Yildiz isn't in the same league. The wood on the Yildiz, however, is often of good quality and figure. Gil

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Unless dead wrong, the name Vittoria appears on the top of the chamber of the 412. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=68383 Here's mine:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
I might add that Cabela's currently has one in the Gun Library in 28 gauge. Choked improved cylinder, 5 lbs, 27.5" barrel. Unfortunately, I feel that their $729 price tag is out of line.

I think I bought my 28 for about $100, and sold it for about $100. The world was a younger place when I did that, however. Ditto on the 20 gauge.
The 12 I own cost about $80, brand new in the box (which, I still have for it).
$700+ for a single shot is out of line. It would be over priced at half that.

My Mom is a hell of a mother, but, not a hunter. I boxed at about 112 lbs all through high school, and Dad insisted on big loads for everything, and the gun was quite unpleasant to shoot that way and at that weight.
A used 20 gauge pump would have made so much more sense, and I bought one on my own a few years later, another gun I still have. Dad never owned anything but a 12, said he didn't believe in anything else.

Some of the ideas of what makes a good youth shotgun are pretty far out. The Companion and Beretta singles are more of an expert's gun, and useful for lots of walking, and little shooting. Not a great kids gun. The Mossberg youth 20 gauge pump that comes with two stocks is also good example of a poorly thought out kids gun. It is actually too light, too short, and the blast from the muzzle is a mere 18" from the new shooters eye and ears. It is unpleasant to shoot with almost any load produced today.
I am mid-stream on converting one of these to an older 28" Mossberg 20 gauge barrel, the lug has to be relocated because of the 2 round chamber, and just waiting until the kid fits the longer of the two plastic stocks.

Then, it will be a decent youth shotgun.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Early April of this year, a bidding war erupted on Gunbroker for a Savage 220 28 ga. single-shot. The hammer fell at $760.00 without shipping costs or FFL fees. Gil

Fall..jager, check your pm's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I stand corrected, the Vittoria appears on a few other Beretta shotguns as well.

Gil, my Yildiz has decent wood as well. Nothing too fancy, but it is not pallet grade.

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not my gun, but definitely not pallet grade wood:

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should add that I had the chokes opened up to I/C in my Beretta for bird hunting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.