April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (bsteele, Researcher), 1,245 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,135
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

I, too, love my 16's. I have more shotguns in 16 gauge than any other gauge, with my very favorite being a pre WWI Merkel, next favorite a Max Fischer (Berlin) hammer gun, then a pre WWII BSW (Simson) over/under. As stated above somewhere, reloading has become simply a way of life with the 16 gauge, but there are indeed FAR more choices available in the market now.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad's only shottie was the zoli sixteen, so that's what I started with. I did borrow twelves from fellow hunters, which sealed the deal on making the zoli my first choice as an all-round hunting gun. It's a very nice upland gauge and configuration to carry in the woods, and I've found it will keep up with most guns in the duck and goose blind when shooting bismuth, and do it it style. My M12 sixteen also fits the bill very well, but I mainly use it water fowling, with the odd upland hunt thrown in.

Already started loading up for next season.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

One can get extra light 12ga that is as light as 16ga game gun. French doubles w/o bottom rib come to mind. The big upside to 12ga is wide variety of loads including low recoil ones even in BK shot and slugs. The only bright spot for 16ga is that Kent Bismuth 1oz load is less expensive than 12ga counterpart. While 16ga is better than 20ga it isn't better than 12ga.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would bet dollars to donuts that if equal amounts sixteen guns and ammo were as available as 12ga......sixteens would be just as common, and maybe favored. If I had to have only one gun, a framed (6.5 lbs. + or -) sixteen gauge would do it all.

Not sure what the new sixteen A5 weighs in at, but if it's steel capable and light.....

Hopefully I'll get to shoot one soon.....

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
dal #468460 01/09/17 12:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
I would bet dollars to donuts that if equal amounts sixteen guns and ammo were as available as 12ga......sixteens would be just as common, and maybe favored. If I had to have only one gun, a framed (6.5 lbs. + or -) sixteen gauge would do it all.

Not sure what the new sixteen A5 weighs in at, but if it's steel capable and light.....

I like Browning Arms because they give ole' guys like me hope. Matter of fact I looked at new Browning bolt gun. It was marked .300H&H. I rubbed my eyes and pinched my nose and dang it still was .300H&H.

dal #468461 01/09/17 12:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I completely agree with this. It's the limited ammo that hold most people back.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
My personal belief is that the big thing which dropped the popularity of the 16 was Skeet Shooting. A game originally introduced for the benefit of upland gunners as opposed to Trap, yey it by-passed the #1 upland gauge. Skeet was also responsible for the great popularity of the 28 gauge. It was virtually dead prior to Skeet.

This too!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: wyobirds
In my view, the best looking shotgun profile is that of a straight stocked, splinter gripped, double triggered 16 gauge SxS built on a 16 gauge frame.

I totally agree.

Matt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

I completely agree with this. It's the limited ammo that hold most people back.

This raises an interesting question, does ammo availability drive gauge choice or does gauge choice drive ammunition sales?

Which is the dominant factor?

My gut is it is gun use that is more dominant.

Last edited by old colonel; 01/09/17 01:18 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

GaugeMates or ChamberMates in 20 gauge to fit my 16 gauge just in case I'm out in the boonies in McKean County, Pennsylvania or Chamberlain, South Dakota. Or anywhere in between.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.