May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ian Forrester, MattH, Karl Graebner, LGF, Roundsworth, NTaxiarchis), 498 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KY Jon Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I had to travel to pickup my daughter today. On the way back I stopped in to the Wheeling, West Virginia Cabelas store. On the rack, in the main floor, not in the fine gun room, was a NID 12 in Grade 2. Sale price was $600.00. It was a odd looking cobbled up gun to say the least. The case was 100%, the barrels and all the rest were 99% but the butt was a beater, field grade stock and the fore end had been carved by a beaver with a bad bite. The metal was all perfect but the wood was trash. It look like a almost unfired gun. At first I thought it had been refinished but it is not, all the metal is perfect and no hint of wear and refinish job, even one done well. I ended up with the gun for $550.00 plus tax.

Well I got home and started to look at the gun as I took it apart. All metal parts are from the same gun. The butt is not and the fore end is of course not. My best guess is the the original stock was taken off and used on another gun. Then what ever could be found was put on this gun, years later, just to sell it. Just got done restocking a NID that I bought from Rabbit and find that that wood is going to have to be put on this gun. Fine crotch black walnut, with nice matched figure on both sides should look just perfect on this gun. All and all it was a much nicer ride back with my daughter and a new gun than over to pick her up.

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You did well..good eye!

Not a big fan of that engraving period/grade...but would certainly make room for that at that price. Seems I have seen some wood on Eplay from time to time that might work? Not sure about the NID, but I have three Flues, 2 12's and a 16...wood all looks like it would fit at the head and tangs, just some internal clearance issues.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sell it to me at $600, I need the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My #4 Flues SBT has #6 wood and the neutral stock combined with a shadowline cheekpiece was a bit of a problem for me initially. I bought a standard #4 stock without the cheekpiece on eBay. The top inlet was a bit short on the upper tang and well short of the triggeruard. Real problem was getting stock shoulders tight to the frame and the barbed barrel nut inside the bottom inlet was not in line with the hand bolt. I worked awhile but feel that I will have to glassbed (or fill and rebore) both hand and tang bolt holes. I put the original back on, cranked my right elbow higher, lowered my holdpt. to the back roofedge of the house, and my scores immediately went fom a skulking away on all fours "13" to my usual 18-21. Those long 34" barrels were hiding the target and I needed to get my shoulder pocket maxed inboard. Anyway, it appears easier to "fit" yourself than "refit" a stock which is close but not quite. Sounds like that old field grade NID as a dressmaker's dummy was pretty close for Jon, however.

jack

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.