May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stanton Hillis, Argo44, 1 invisible), 499 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,626
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46949 07/04/07 05:24 PM
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What should I expect to pay for a Merkel 8 in good used condition? Good periods of production or bad?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always thought the Merk 8 sells cheap. They are apparently the same gun as the Merk 47, but without ejectors, which I don't care for anyway. They seem to range from maybe $700 to $1,200 or so, depending on condition. I think the one you inquired about within the last week or so looks nice, and would be a really nice buy at $1,000 or $1,100. It's probably not overpriced as is, at least IMO, and German guns is generally what I buy (and occasionally sell). I personally prefer the pre war styling. I don't have much post war German guns, the few I have are all well made however.

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Larry. Never realized Merkel had a low-price offering until I saw the NIB leftovers @ Mark's Born Again Birdguns. Looking at a couple of Kebco guns also. Buddy has an older scallop-back J. P. Sauer 16 ga. on the Euro model with cheekpiece, pistol grip and swivels. I shot a couple of stations of skeet with it; seemed friendly enuf and got me looking at the genre.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

There seem to be more of the post-war merkels around these days and prices have dropped. Gunbroker usually has a few and Simpsonltd.com usually has some. The 16 gauges get snapped up pretty quickly.

For those of you that have handled german post-war guns, how do west german sauers and east german merkels compare? The sauer guns, especially without the crossbolt seem well made, but the engraving is crude.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There seem to be more of the post-war merkels around these days and prices have dropped. Gunbroker usually has a few and Simpsonltd.com usually has some. The 16 gauges get snapped up pretty quickly.

For those of you that have handled german post-war guns, how do west german sauers and east german merkels compare? The sauer guns, especially without the crossbolt seem well made, but the engraving is crude.

HB01 #46989 07/04/07 11:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit, I hunted a #8 for a couple of years - had to pry the thing open over a stump, and stand on the barrels to close.
Not a smooth thing.
Paid a grand for it many years ago.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 07/04/07 11:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The West German (Eckernforde) Sauers used a somewhat modified design from the prewar guns. The basic Model 60 imported to the States did not have a Greener crossbolt. I've owned a couple and they're decent enough guns, although the workmanship isn't up to prewar standards. One thing I've noted on several of the West German Model 60's is a problem with the head of the stock. There are often hairline cracks, and sometimes it looks as if the wood is swelling up where it meets the receiver. Don't know if it was bad wood or bad fitting, and I expect a good stock man could solve it pretty easily. Otherwise, reliable guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good, solid, dependable. Can be quite stiff when new.
(Oil and a little rottenstone therapy fixes it nicely.) Mine are well regulated. Beyond $1200 is a lot used for the DDR models, but the models made from 90-94 can cost considerably more...up to $2k. They have nicer wood and wood finish but that's about the only difference. Rumor has it that the late 80's models lack the quality due to Eastern Bloc insecurities, but I have no proof. My 20 weighs right at 6#, my 12 7# 2 oz. I prefer non ejector guns, these suit me fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The '80 are dreadful years for Merkel. They sell in $1500+/-100 range around here, if in like new condition. There are nice ones out there you don't have to break over your knee. Matter of fact, I just helped bright eyed old dude buy his first SxS. It's minty 626 'Onyx' with vr, sst, and BP mobil? chokes. It's just what 'ole O/U shooter needs for ducks und clays. Nice clean and affordable piece ($1499) with no stupid greener x bolt or grotesque appearance.
Gee, you missed good one on 3rd July, I would have held it for you if I knew you needed a modern SxS cabable of handling all modern shotshells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a Model 8 last year for $400 on one of the online auctions. Surprised me how low I got it for, but the wood was very ho-hum, plus it had the usual sling.

I soon found it fit me better than any SXS I've ever owned (routinely breaking 10-15 more targets in 100 of sporting clays), so I sent it to Briley for installation of thin-wall chokes suitable for steel shot. So, for under $1K I've got fantastic fit, durability, and versatility (huns to turkeys and geese). And ho-hum wood. Maybe I'll take art lessons and try to brush some figure into the stock....

I couldn't be happier, except if it had an articulated front trigger and a smaller trigger guard. My trigger hand takes a pounding with all the shooting I like to do with it, particularly with waterfowl loads.

Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.